Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Maravia Zephyr (Lime) Aire River Couch (Also Lime)
33 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration Buzzards! As a result of this thread I bought an older Craigslist moto and a HF carrier, which I bolted to a step hitch extension I had laying around (which I beefed up with a couple gussets). Was planning to use it on the front receiver but chickened out - just looked too whimpy. Just got back from a short Ruby/Horsethief trip and it worked great.
This is brilliant, exactly what I'm wanting to do. Do you have any additional photos? Does this setup still work well for you? I know you're supposed to de-rate your tongue capacity by half with using these hitch extenders but I'm wondering if it seems necessary.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried a bunch of configurations and landed on putting the bike on the trailer. I had a tray in the front and tried it on on the back of the trailer. The front wasn't too bad but it obstructed my view. The hitch on the back of my trailer caused a little too much sway. I ended up building it into the trailer. This was the best solution so far. My two cents.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is brilliant, exactly what I'm wanting to do. Do you have any additional photos? Does this setup still work well for you? I know you're supposed to de-rate your tongue capacity by half with using these hitch extenders but I'm wondering if it seems necessary.
It does work well (except for falling off a couple times trying to drive it up - I push it now). My boats are light so haven't worried about tongue capacity. You will probably need drill press, welder and other tools to make a plate for the extender to match the mounting holes, or have it fabricated.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts