Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Big Pine camps reserved in a couple of weeks. Flows may be at 8600 CFS for our trip unless they start releasing water soon. What would you expect the landing conditions to look like at the camp? I hear some of the camps are flooded out but the Big Pine I and II camps sit pretty high. Fishing will be tough!

Also, what does Red Creek look like. I like big water and this was a bit more of a camping trip than a fishing trip anyway!

·
Beater
169 Posts
I have the Big Pine camps reserved in a couple of weeks. Flows may be at 8600 CFS for our trip unless they start releasing water soon. What would you expect the landing conditions to look like at the camp? I hear some of the camps are flooded out but the Big Pine I and II camps sit pretty high. Fishing will be tough!

Also, what does Red Creek look like. I like big water and this was a bit more of a camping trip than a fishing trip anyway!
I don't have much to offer about high water Big Pine landings but the river is pretty slow through that section, I have only run Red Creek at lower flows but you can easily scout from the left, there is an obvious pullout and a trail. I usually scout just to fish the riffles at the rapid. The left line as shown in the video is pretty straightforward, you might have to make a move to the right at the bottom. If you like big water you might be underwhelmed.

Maybe plan on throwing a lot of streamers...

·
aselig
42 Posts
Big Pine sits high, you should be ok. There’ll be no scout on river left, that’ll be under water. River right scout is up around the corner, dead tree with tire reflector. Left of center staying left is the zone you want to be in

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no set date. The release “will commence shortly after first capture of razorback sucker larvae in light trapping samples.”

It seems that on low flow years the release tends to be on the earlier end of the range.

For more information look at the Bureau of Reclamation current status of Flaming Gorge Dam

·
Registered
524 Posts
I’ve floated/camped it twice at 8500. All camps were above water (that i remember). We camped cottonwood/Big Pine and Cats Paw the other year.

Red Creek is straight down the middle with a large standing wave(punch). fun rapid

·
Registered
181 Posts
That video above in the drift boat matches what I’ve seen at 8500. You’ll get a good wave train, but anything technical about red creek, such as rocks to avoid, gets washed out. Can probably do it blindfolded and backwards if you’re in a raft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts