Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback and input:

I stumbled across this product, while searching for a good deal on PVC cement. It's called HH-66 vinyl cement, by RH products (see link).
< Bonding Vinyl Coated & Vinyl Laminated Fabrics: RH Products, MA >
I've done a little research and it seems like a pretty solid product....and at a great price; I ordered a quart for $17 + $15 shipping, so at $32/qt, that's hard to beat. The product desrciption even says it can be used on urethanes, but I didn't look into that at all. Oh, and another interesting bitfrom the description is that it has an 18 month + shelf life. Anyway, I'm going to glue on a couple of D-rings with it, and report back later in the season. In the meantime, if anyone has had any experience with it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it works great, used it a bunch for PVC raft patching.
Yeah, that's what my research suggests. It seems it's used widely in the biz. That begs the question(s):
> Why is it not generally available at the various rafting supplies?
> Is it what's actually in the small, expensive cans that are found on the shelves at rafting supplies?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Let me preface this with a warning that I know very little about glue and this is just a hunch... I read somewhere about old glued pvc rafts falling apart over time due to gas that is released from the glue or the reaction or whatever. In the same writing, the author said modern glues had solved that issue and glued pvc could bond indefinitely if the new stuff was used.

Maybe this stuff gives off the bad gas and that's why rafting outfitters don't carry it...or I'm wrong...I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me preface this with a warning that I know very little about glue and this is just a hunch... I read somewhere about old glued pvc rafts falling apart over time due to gas that is released from the glue or the reaction or whatever. In the same writing, the author said modern glues had solved that issue and glued pvc could bond indefinitely if the new stuff was used.

Maybe this stuff gives off the bad gas and that's why rafting outfitters don't carry it...or I'm wrong...I'm probably wrong.
All info and input is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yeah, that's what my research suggests. It seems it's used widely in the biz. That begs the question(s):
> Why is it not generally available at the various rafting supplies?
> Is it what's actually in the small, expensive cans that are found on the shelves at rafting supplies?
Maybe it's because they don't want you to know what they use so as not to go around them. If you don't use the right glue, your patch will fall off sooner.

NRS is the only place I know of that you can purchase the right glue to use on Avon rafts. Local suppliers won't sell it to you, but they sure use it. :mrgreen:

For the record....I've never used this glue nor do I know what is being sold to you in tiny containers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts