Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got accepted into a CSU graduate school program and I'm trying to get information on the paddling and the groups in that area. I'm coming from Georgia (Athens-UGA) and I'm a solid class 5 creeker in this area.

If you have anything you think I should know put that in here too. I don't know anyone in Fort Collins.

Thanks,

Scott M.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will love Fort Collins. Plenty of paddling opportunties and people too. When you get in town, you should stop by The Mountain Shop, just north of campus. You can get hooked up with people through there.
JJ

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What's up? I'm a Georgia grad that lives in Lyons. Give me a call or email. We'll boat. 303 229 0070
I'll be out of town for the next 10 days (Cali kayak trip)
Do you know Chad Bearden or Jason Rodwell?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those two names do not sound familure to me. But, I'm the UGAWWCLUB president and would love to hook up for some quality boating.

Should I bother bringing the Vision out west or should I just bring the Jefe?

Can't wait to rock it.

Scott

www.uga.edu/wwclub

·
Registered
846 Posts
only bring the jefe if you only want to run class five or prefer to run all rivers in a creeker. I like to run class three and four stuff with friends who don't creek in my playboat. That alone is worth haveing two boats for me. There is some fun play on the colorado, like south canyon wave...gore is a good play run too.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys, where in the hell should I live out there? I'd like to either get a fall sub-lease/6 monther or get a 2 bedroom place in a popular area.

Word,

Scott

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
As for paddling groups, I dont know of any at CSU...not sure why we dont have one, not my thing anyway. You got a little bit of everything on the Poudre, snowmelt allowing. First thing I'd do is get your hands on the bible, second edition-Colorado Rivers and Creeks. Poudre Canyon has got everything from II-V+, sounds like you'd like upper, middle & lower narrows, Big south and Joe wright to name a few. If I were you I'd move to North Fort Collins, anywhere around campus, City Park, Old Town Fort Collins has the nightlife and all that. Word

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm defiently into that shit. I love class 5 creeking out here (toxaway, Raven Fork etc.) but I love playboating as well.

I'd love to meet some chill boaters and have someone to hang with and drink some beer.

What apartments are around the north area? I have seen a few but they are in the south around some lake. The Preserve etc?

Thanks man,

Scott

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Hey man I live in the fort and get to paddle every day in the summer. bring both of your boats for sure, lots of great fun runs that you dont want your creek boat for. plus a bunch of us run some of the bigger shit in our play boats, its fun if you know what your up against. Also creeking on the pouder is pretty sweet plus there's tons of creeks all over pretty close by. So bring both, oh and live in the old town area if you want chill fun neighbors and a walk to the bars and resturants. Otherwise anywhere north of campus, closer to the river and less traffic. Good luck and just head up to the river to meet boaters, theres always people on the river you can hook up with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can help you out with the housing issue. I work in the industry and there are plenty of rentals in Old Town.
Check out www.campusrentercenter.com or www.kevco.com
they are both good old town property managers with all the good houses.
There should be pictures. If not shoot me a personal message and I can hook you up some ideas of a place I have that might work out.
The poudre rocks in the summer. You can go to class and boat go back to class, then back to the river, then hit the pubs. Bring both boats for sure. The season doesn't look like it will last to long, so playboating the narrows early and late is always a blast.
JJ

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used to live in Athens....do you know Ashley at Charbons or John McCrae, aka "Crusty?" Definitely bring both boats....you will be kicking yourself if you don't. Think about it, what did you take down Tallulah?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh, I know ashley and of John. I took down tallulah in 96/97. I was on the first sched. release run. Used to paddle for Savage Designs as a Jr. boater back then.

I'm looking forward to getting out there.

Ashley is in Costa Rica 3/4 of the year now. He's tired of Athens and work.

lol.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I ran the Tallulah Gorge on the 1st release as well....swam in Bridal Vail falls!!!! I was trying to run the right line off the pillow and thought I was a bad ass. That swim nearly drowned me. I was pummelled to the bedrock floor and had to get my feet under me to push myself downstream. Learned my lesson and never ran that line again and have actually only swam once since then. Give me a call if you want to boat....720-291-7435.

I am making a trip to Telluride on Friday morning to run the Dolores, San Miguel, and maybe Escalante, Big Cimmaron, or Kannah Creek.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts