Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hah, got your attention.

Check out this flash flood a couple days ago near Zion. Due to the amount of logs pushing by, I'm going to blame you for the rating if it has changed due to more or less log jams. :twisted: Thanks!

Flash Flood Beginning Near Virgin Utah & Zion National Park - YouTube

Just a reminder, it may look clear and blue skies in one place, but in another, things change fast in the desert.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we never camp in an arroyo.

·
Super Moderator
3,965 Posts
Like a moving beaver dam

Holy Shit! That is a huge pile of wood being pushed at the front edge of the flood. Phenomenal.
Yeah, Ian, it reminded me of a beaver dam on wheels! I was amazed at how the woodpile held back the water behind it. I've always heard of the trickle ahead of the flood but this had no forewarning like that.

Hojo - No kidding! With lots of campsites situated where drainages come down to the river, I always look at that nice level and smooth sand and think, "nope, that's just not where I want to wake up in the middle of the night if it flashes."

-AH

·
Registered
450 Posts
thanks for the vid Huck!

having boated the narrows I can say you would definitely die if that came down behind you.

also, the flow behind is a prime water level for class III slot canyoneering in a kayak :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I live in SW Utah and I haven't seen a monsoon like this in a decade. Hell, its 60F right now and 85% humidity...doesn't seem like August in the desert.

To me, after a decade exploring those drainages of Zion....that looks like debris mostly coming out from North Creek, right at the town of Virgin. Most of the videos come out this week from the storms have been somewhere below that confluence or at a bridge a few miles lower. There is a better HD video floating somewhere on youtube from this week.

North Creek is lower elevation and hold lots of debris from fire scars that have occurred over the last 5-6 years. The right fork of the drainage (the Subway is its famous left fork cousin) had a huge fire and mudslide the last time I was in there, roughly four years ago. There is a lot more dead and down wood and debris in that drainage than in anything up the forks of the Virgin (i.e. didn't likely see that coming out of the Narrows at the Temple).

That video seems to be accounting for the water coming out of all the drainages though (both forks of the Virgin river @ Springdale and North Creek). Thats more than 150 miles of primary drainages adding rain water.

Phillip

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew it wasn't the narrows directly, still cool and scary to see. Trying to ruffle some old feathers too......

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thank you for sharing Josh. As you can see from the video, nearly all of the wood has been flushed out of the narrows, and they are now completely good to go (and may even have adequate flash flood flows, giv'er Russ). Further more, judging by the video alone, I'm confident that enough water came down to wash away that sieve that formed a few years ago and a few of those trees, thus instantly correcting our most recent outdated sandbagging beta. If the flood would wash away a few of those weird park service rules (600cfs, ahem), we'd be right on track to meet our 2012 quota of stranded river enthusiasts needing rescue! :rolleyes:

@ Restrac, thank you for the real beta, now and in the past.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
land of plenty of water, as long as you like class I and surf kayaking. New river next week at ~ -.7 (2K-3Kcfs I think) and upper gauley at ~250cfs. Elf boating....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts