Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I just got back from our first raft trip on our own boat. We did Ruby Horse Thief to test our set up. Had a great time and I can't wait to get back. I built my frame from speedrail fittings and 16 gauge fence posts. When I took my frame apart I noticed that the posts are starting to bend and groove from the tightening screws in the fittings. Eventually I would like to upgrade to 6061 aluminum but for now I was wondering if anyone out there had a fix for this.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's a bit random, but I found that if I use these, with a bit of rubber tape around them to take up a bit of room, I at least have a solid core to tighten down on. I only use the cylindrical part... I removed the extra junk. You can get this item at home depot in the fence section.

I've actually used these and with the set screws, AND drilled holes with lynch pins to keep everything attached. It's not as tight a fit as you can get with hardwood dowels, but dowels require more work to fit perfectly and they require oiling to stay the same size.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts