Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, time to take a beating, er ask for advice. Seems like my power stove has very inconsistent performance. Sometimes it sounds like a jet with nice blue flame and other times its a yellow flame. More often than not it leaves soot all over my pot. As for the flame dampener I'm not sure when it should be used. Anybody wanna walk me through proper operation of this thing? Thanks in advance.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
Troubleshooting | The Power Stove

I'm not sending the link to be a jerk. I was going to answer your question to the best that I could remember the instruction manual saying something about how you light it. I searched for the manual online and found this link. I only use mine for high power so I haven't experienced your problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
"blasters" are pretty simple devices. They use a jet or hole where the propane comes out at a high velocity. This mixes with air and heat and when inside the tube it creates a venturi effect as the heat rises sucking in even more air. That is where you get that great sounding jet burner.

I've messed with the Woodland stoves a bit and have seen this problem. If you are not getting the venturi then you are not injecting enough fuel. You may need to clean the orifice in the bottom of the jet but the first place to start is disconnect unit from propane tank and turn the Woodland stove to off. Reconnect stove to propane tank (you could try another propane tank) open tank and then try to relight the stove. It is critical that the burner is in the off position prior to turning the tank on. If this does not work you may need to purchase a new 0 to 10 adjustable regulator. They are readily available and under 20 bucks. Other possibilities are moisture contamination freezing. My experience is that regulators do this a few times before they quit working all together but yours may be improper connection.

Best of luck. I have heard a lot of people complain about this with the woodland stove. If you search the site you will find other information regarding this issue. Pleas let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Several good points have been made. I will emphasize that the tank valve is an important component of the system, and I have found my WPS works more consistently on one tank than another. Most of my problems with soot and performance were traced back to poor flow at the tank valve.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
My stove went down when sand entered the Acme Nut. The black Acme nut is designed to restrict the flow of propane to a set number of BTU's.There is also an excess flow valve inside the nut that will shut down if the hose ruptures. All this crap will go to hell if sand gets in.

Make sure there is no propane coming out the vent on the regulator.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Lots of reasons to like the woodland stove.

But, I never could get mine to run anywhere close to what it should, so I retired mine.

Maybe with these tips, I will take the time to find mine and see if these tips make my woodland stove work like I think it should.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
unlucky pretty much said it all.

My regulator crapped out on day one of a cold middlefork trip. sucked! Since then I carry a spare.

I have one friend who got tired of it all and put a ball cock valve and a needle valve on the thing. one regulates flow from the tank and the other flow from the burner. Dont remember which is which No regulator problems anymore and the thing is a monster when he wants it to be and will simmer a small pot. He hasnt blown himself up yet but i dont know what kind of safety issues it poses. I decided when both regulators i have crap out, i'll probably go that route since he has been a well tested guinea pig.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
You may be on to something

I like to experiment. I may give this a try.

unlucky pretty much said it all.

My regulator crapped out on day one of a cold middlefork trip. sucked! Since then I carry a spare.

I have one friend who got tired of it all and put a ball cock valve and a needle valve on the thing. one regulates flow from the tank and the other flow from the burner. Dont remember which is which No regulator problems anymore and the thing is a monster when he wants it to be and will simmer a small pot. He hasnt blown himself up yet but i dont know what kind of safety issues it poses. I decided when both regulators i have crap out, i'll probably go that route since he has been a well tested guinea pig.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had this problem and it turned out that the stove was pushed into the sand to far and was not getting air thru it at the bottom and would not work properly.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Mine has worked flawlessly and everyone I know has also had no problems. Check your propane tank! They can get gas locked and you will get that yellow poor performance flame. It seems to be worse on small propane tanks. I turn the regulator on and off of the tank about 3-4 times releasing gas from the tank and it is working. Works everytime and has to do with the fill on the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts