Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 friends and I are putting on for thursday 4/5/12 and are planning a day trip through the canyon.

we have no raft support and are 3 kayakers.

I have read the permit requirements

River Use Stipulations - Westwater Canyon

I have the break down paddle, but I am unsure of the toilet/waste system requirements and the fire pan.

I am not the permit holder, he has not advised me how to proceed and I want to make sure i am ready and do not get rejected at launch.

we are planning a day trip, i don't know haw that is treated at the ranger station.

Can anyone confirm or advise me on what to do for a toilet system and a fire pan?

Would a nalgine bottle and wag bag be sufficcent?

what about the fire pan?

thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Unless you plan on stopping to make s'mores...you can skip the fire pan. Not required for a day trip. Besides...youre kayaking so where exactly would you put it?

Also..I hope you all wash out the nalgene bottles after the trip.

Enjoy though, we launch in 2 weeks

·
Registered
350 Posts
I forget the date details, though firepans are required for part of the year on all trips, and then not at other times of the year for day trips. May be in the spring requirements now that wouldn't mandate it?

I always grab one of those super flimsy brownie pans (thick aluminum foil- crumple and shove in boat) from the grocery. The rangers are cool with them there if you let them know that you will put sand inside it to prevent it from burning through.

For a groover Alvin has been fine with wag bags inside of tupperware and/or an old peanut butter jar with a screw on lid.

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Yeah Fallingup don't worry, st2eelpot is gonna carry the full-size groover and welded firepan in his kayak on our upcoming trip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Kayak self-support groover

Bob,

Here are a few pictures of a kayak self-support groover that can easily be made with a single trip to the hardware store. This is what I used for a 3-day self-support Salt River trip back in February. My suggestion is to save the nalgene for a more suitable purpose. I also used wag bags with this groover.

You don't need to cut the front pilar to accommodate, you can just as easily place in the rear of your boat and inflate a float bag against it.

I also have some build-plans for a way cool fire pan that is easily broken down and the individual pieces can be carried by 3+ kayakers. We also used it on the Salt this year, it's pretty darn sweet. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this.

Hope this helps, Lenny.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sweet idea Geardog!! The only downside is that everytime you look in your cockpit, the first thing you see is your septic tank. ;P

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call on the brownie pan. I have one I will bring just in case. it does say april 1 so we should be good.

lenny, that groover idea looks good. i'll have to make one up. I'd love to hear about the salt trip. glad you got down there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts