Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are going to be in durango next week.

i know the river is low, what is it like to kayak silverton to durango at these levels? [email protected] [email protected]?

Also, and more importantly, can you catch the train at tacoma with out a reservation w the narrow gauge train people?

current cost for a person is 90$ they didnt know how much it would be for kayak and gear, they said by weight, but had no$ per pound.

so, I guess what im asking is.

Is the river kayakable at this level? ELF, or slightly better?

Can you catch a train from tacoma w/o a reservation?

What time does train arrive at Tacoma? 530pm? i heard.

what are other options? we have one car.

And lastly, Rockwood box can be run as a day trip, how long is the shuttle, hike in/out?

thank you

·
Registered
887 Posts
Don't know your answer to the low level. But I'm surprised about not giving you an answer about boat shuttle on the train, since I've done it twice. Both times stopping at Tall Timbers or Needleton/Chicago basin???? stop to drop some overnight gear for camping. From what I can remember this was pretty common for others to do too. Granted this was a LONG time ago.

·
no tengo
1,889 Posts
i know the river is low, what is it like to kayak silverton to durango at these levels? [email protected] [email protected]?
Not fun.

Also, and more importantly, can you catch the train at tacoma with out a reservation w the narrow gauge train people?
Not likely. Better off to run Rockwood.

current cost for a person is 90$ they didnt know how much it would be for kayak and gear, they said by weight, but had no$ per pound.
it is $50 per 250 lbs.

Is the river kayakable at this level? ELF, or slightly better?
yes but not worth it for the section you mention.

Can you catch a train from tacoma w/o a reservation?
see above. you can try to flag them down by waving your arms across your knees.

What time does train arrive at Tacoma? 530pm? i heard.
I think the one that might stop is at ~4:50 but it could be 5:20. call them.

what are other options? we have one car.
the Mountain biking is really good right now.

And lastly, Rockwood box can be run as a day trip, how long is the shuttle, hike in/out?
~2.5 mile hike in. do not hike on the tracks until after the last train is out. you can hike from Haviland lake campground down to Tacoma legally but you will probably get lost.

Sorry these are probably not the answers you want to hear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Upper Animas info

The river is runnable via kayak at these levels. It will be a slow day so I'd recommend doing it as an overnight. Not sure about the tix at Tacoma but I know that it is often done.

Rockwood is about a mile long and the shuttle is done with the kayak on your shoulder. You will be trespassing on the train tracks so this is usually done early evening in order to avoid train traffic. The hike to the put-in from the Rockwood parking lot is a bit over a mile and I plan about 40 minutes for it. The hike out is more up than anything but the trail is well marked and easy to follow.

Last train at Tacoma around 5:30pm sounds about right to me.

Happy paddling,

Mark

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am waiting to hear back from the train people. We are trying to get picked up at the rockwood train yard and dropped off either at needleton or elk creek.

I am thinking needleton through rockwood as an overnighter. maybe 12 miles?

thank you all for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts