Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I've been kayaking for awhile, just with my Jefe, but just last month I bought a Rockstar cause I've really been wanting to get into playboating. There's a pond near my house so I thought it'd be great to learn and practice some flat water freestyle moves, but man......doing this double pump thing is harder than those YouTube videos make it look. I had my gf take some video of me trying it, any tips or advice on what I'm doing wrong? Not dropping enough edge? Paddle not flat enough?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Not the greatest quality....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EPOwWlqmtI

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
First you should address the production quality, even it involves a new girlfriend.

To my eye it looks like you need a little more edge and it'll slice through the water more easily. Keep giving it more edge until you fall on your face, and then you probably went too far. Also focusing on keeping that upper body balanced over the boat and leaning on the paddle as little as possible will help generate more torque. I agree that you look close.

At least for me, it took a lot of falling down before I figured it out, but once you get it, it usually sticks. Looks like you'll get there if you keep working on finding that edge sweet spot and keep a good attitude.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You have both hands in the water which is great. I would definitely try moving the seat forward. The only advice I would give is to move your focus point in the water back a bit. I look at a spot on the water to help center my shoulders toward the water. The spot should be 6 to 12 inches away from the boat and even with your but. If you flop on your head you spot is to far back ( behind the seat), if you bob up then your spot is to far forward.

·
doesn't need a fake name
481 Posts
You've basically got it. Now just get used to the fact that the boat will be underneath you sooner. I agree about the timing, although I would probably describe it differently, but either way, my advice would be to keep practicing and keep watching video of yourself.

It took me years (literally) to get that trick. Peter remembers those days.

Oh, and try the other side too. Try to be equal on both sides. You'll thank me later.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts