Mountain Buzz banner

help with choosing a playboat

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sglass123 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just want to ask any of you expert paddlers a huge question...
Which boat would be a better fit to improve my play drastically...a Dagger Jitsu 5.9 or an Allstar 2010 (heard tons of good stuff from this one)..
Want to be able to blunt it, excel in cartwheels and loops,

About me,,,,not a good overall playboater but tons of experience in downriver kayaking. I am 5'7 and 150 lbs. Any suggestions ?????

Jorge Kawas

#2 ·
I guess some questions to ask that may help you are:

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Foot size can also sometime play a factor.

Which boat better suits your answers to the first question?

Do you like the Jackson outfitting, or the dagger outfitting more?

I would recommend that you try both and see for yourself which one you feel more comfortable in/ are able to throw around more. Hope I was able to help a little.

#4 ·
Well...thanks for the reply. I am rather short..merely 5'7...weighing 150lbs. My foot size is 9. I like Jackson outfitting and the truth is ...I havent paddled Dagger in a long time but heard lots of good stuff regarding the contour outfitting. Unfortunately I cannot demo the boats cause I dont live in the states and they dont have them here. This is why some help would be greatly appreciated. It seems that the 2010 allstar would be a good fit, but what happens is that people are giving the jitsui great reviews too. I want to practice in both flatwater and small wave/holes

#12 ·
I was in the 2010 Jackson Star for the last 5 years, just cracked it a few weeks ago and decided to try the Jitsu 5.5. So just the smaller versions and here is what I noticed...

The Jitsu 5.5 outfitting is much better for me. I'm only 5 ft tall and the happy feet in the Jackson did not work for me. It would slide around b/c there was so much space in the front of my boat. Had to switch to regular bulk head. That worked but would have to adjust frequently.

The thigh braces in the Jitsu are much more aggressive and more comfortable.

The Jitsu was a bit more narrow on the top so my thumbs are not hitting the sides of the boat nearly as much.

They seem to paddle pretty similar, but I haven't had a chance to take the Jitsu out much yet. I personally think the Jitsu is a better boat comfort wise, especially if you are smaller. I did enjoy the Star, but am happy that I made the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.