Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have or know someone that can help me weld a crack in the bow of my nomad? i cracked it good in BR yesterday..or if anybody has an 8.1 for sale?? thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Boulder Boat Works

Boulder Boat Works welded my Eskimo a couple of years ago and it's held up superbly. It's not the cheapest solution but it's quality.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Weld it

Buy a heat gun (~$30) and PM Deepsouthpaddler to get some nomad plastic from him. Weld it yourself, it is cheap and easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could try CKS in BV.. I know they have matching plastic for Liquid Logic and some other kayaks. Also, they would be a good source for info on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/broken-jefe-need-help-37953.html
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/plastic-welder-34425.html
Check out the above two links. Best option is to learn to weld yourself. Its not that hard once you try. Go through the videos and posts. Buy yourself a welder at harbor freight. Get some old plastic from a broken boat beyond repair (sorry I don't have any nomad plastic anymore), and get some gorilla tape or bitchithane.

Once you get a boat welded up, and get good at welding, it opens up the possibility of running a beat up mank boat on the mank runs and saving a "new" or intact boat for higher water runs. Running a mank boat lets you enjoy the mank without the fear of destroying your new boat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I second Ian's comments, fix it yourself. I just did my first weld this year on my burn. It was a little nerve wracking at first, but really is pretty easy. My crack was pretty significant ~6" center hull under the seat, and has held up great. Couple of the suggestions that I got that were key to success on the first attemp were:
1) Start slow and don't get the gun too hut. I used the Harbor Frieght welder (~$80) and had the setting on 5.
2) Best if the welding rod is about 2" longer than the crack.
3) keep the gun moving, ovals between the rod and the boat worked well.

The links provided by Ian have lots of great information. Feel free to give me a call if you want to talk through it. 3oh3 9three1 8756 - Lucas

·
Registered
226 Posts
A bit more food for thought, if you have no interest in learning to weld or just don't want to take the time to do it (like me)... it only cost me $80 to have my boat welded by Boulder Boat Works. They repaired a 4" crack in the nose, a handle in the stearn, and cleaned up a bunch of scrapes around the coaming.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot, and thanks for all the links for welding but im kinda there with you jhimik, i will give boulder boat works a call. what was the turnaround time on it??

·
Registered
226 Posts
About 2 days if I remember correctly, but I'm sure it depends on what they've got going on. I think they told me specifically when they could do it and I brought it in the day before.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Don't be scared of learning to weld. Its not that hard, and you have the cheat sheet from folks who have done it before.

Learning to weld will pay big dividends in the long run. Also, boulder boat works won't fix all cracks. I took a boat up there before I learned to weld, and they said that they couldn't do it. That was my inspriation to learn to weld... that and not wanting to drop a grand on a creek boat every time I cracked a boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts