Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mountainbuzzers and Friends, The development of the master plan for the Saint Vrain rivers is moving forward quickly. We, as white water enthusiasts, have an opportunity to make a difference. The quickest way for you to help direct the reclamation of the rivers around Lyons is to send me an email with some specifics that I will define below. I will compile these emails and get our voices heard and the papers placed in front of the right people. This effort on your part may be essential in our ability to enjoy these rivers in the years to come. This is time sensitive.

The email content should include
Your Name
City you reside
Your age
In a statement please express how you have used these stretches of river in the past. Why these stretches and their redevelopment are important to you. If you came into to town and made purchases such as food, gas, liquor and other items. Did you or someone you know come to town because of events such as the Lyons Outdoor Games which utilizes the rivers. What would you like to see replaced or improved upon in and around these rivers.

Our goal is to have 100 emails from the Buzz. Thank you for your help and we will keep you posted
Please Title the email
Saint Vrain River user opinion
Send to
[email protected]

·
Registered
774 Posts
Also, the draft alternatives analysis for the St. Vrain Creek Master Plan is available on the project website.

There are public input meetings for the alternative analysis next week. The one is Lyons is on Thursday at 6 at the High School.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
St Vrain MasterPlan info for you

Ok, This is it. If you are able to make the meetings that address the river areas important to you here is the list. These will be the last and most influential meetings for boaters. The master plan team have a draft plan and this is the last chance to express our voice.
Points to be made
SSV: new hazards that make the run unsafe
Lack of river access
Braided river channel that is too shallow to navigate
The narrows has been choked by road stabilization
The river bed has been stripped of in stream large boulders and eddies
One of the best class 5 sections of river in the state has been lost and
needs to be repaired
In town rivers
Repair and replace old structures while making improvements by utilizing a group of white water design professionals (S2O designs would be the logical choice but I would not leave that up to ones logic, Support the local groups that can produce world class features while keeping these dollars close to home)
Utilize new design features such as pneumatic gates for adjustable features, in stream "rapid blocks" for feature adjustability.
Remove dangerous and non navigable features while improving recreation example is the highland ditch dam which is downstream of the old October hole. This could be transformed into 6 new play features as an example of working with ditch companies.
McConnell Ponds: Discuss the importance of the ponds for year round training, teaching beginners and kids in a safe and controlled and slightly warmer feature (roll practice). The roll they play for whitewater enthusiasts during events such as the Lyons Outdoor Games. One thing to consider is the ponds my be more accessible for use if moved to the North side of the river (ie move to river LEFT).

There are certainly many more points to be addressed but these should get us started. Our voices are needed here. Don't leave this up to others.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Done, lets keep this hot and get these emails in. I am also going to post this link on Facebook Front range paddlers. Anything you can do to get the word out the better, lets not miss this opportunty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great cause

Email submitted
Good cause and we can affect how Lyons invests in the river. We could have an awesome stretch with just a little investment from the town. The decision makers need to know that paddlers will come to Lyons if they build it!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the older folks on here are over represented with the emails. If you are in the teen to 20-30 year range you may not realize how important it is for you to take the time to email.
Make a race out of it
Type the email and post the time
Whatever it takes.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, the fishermen are typically over represented at these meetings and are often asking for tge opposite of what we want as kayakers. What's being offered here is your opinion, as a kayaker, to be hand delivered to the master plan engineers at a public forum. We have over 300 views and only 13 emails. Not sure what de to say to encourage you to write an email??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 47 Posts