Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my sister, mom, and wife down the gunny gorge on a commercial raft trip. I kayaked alongside, and we all had a blast. Now my sister is all fired up about rafting, wants to buy a raft and is ready to go. Only problem is she has no experience, and I am worried about her getting in over her head and getting hurt. Any ideas for training, classes, clinics etc so that she can learn what she needs to know in a safe manner? Also any groups of colorado rafters out there that might take a newbie under their wing for a trip or two and show them the ropes.

Any help appreciated. I am glad my sis wants to get on the water, just want her to be safe.

Thanks!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
i am sure there are organized groups, though dont have any beta nor do i belong. i am sure andy horn will reply momentarily and am suprised he hasnt already.

your sis is more than welcome to jump on most any of our trips. we run many easier 3 runs as well as some 4 so she could bring a boat or paddle along depending on her comfort factor.

give a call whenever
zach
303 956 5722

·
Registered
115 Posts
Raft Experience

Your sister could look into a, "new guide orientation" with a raft company in her area. Even if she has no interest in guiding/working for a company she may be able to tag along for a price. And if she was up for working a season as a raft guide she'd get lots of experience, as well as some swift water rescue information.
Kim

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Well just like Zach predicted, here I am with the recommendation. If she's in Denver, she can get in touch with the High Country River Rafters (HCRR-dot-org) and if in the Springs she can contact the Pikes Peak River Runners (PPRR-dot-org). These are both groups that have outings for folks and are great for beginners to get plugged into the rubber-pushing scene. The HCRR is having their next meeting on June 8 so she could go to that, meet folks, and then go on the club cruise in Northgate Canyon on June 12-13.

email me offline for more information.

--Andy

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Andy, The HCRR seem like a bunch of great folks, but the median age can't be much under 60.

·
Registered
335 Posts
DAVE,
Your point is semi legit but a bit of an exaggeration there are younger members who do alittle more aggressive stuff,my bro Hal is the pres. this year he's only like 39-40.there are beginner/ family type outings ,semi-serious rafting,and beer runs ,you try duckin' the upr.Blue at 125 ,after 15 beers and some jaegger its tuff(guess this may not have been an official club outing)

·
Super Moderator
4,055 Posts
Yeah, Dave, in general the HCRR has lots of folks in their mid 30s and older but there are probably even some as young as you! Still, they're glad to take a newbie along on the water and have good attitudes despite being a little past the "young-and-cool" demographic. 'Paddler's sis may not be comfortable pulling out of town with a bunch of strangers she met on the 'net (like Zach, ya know! :D ) and at least its a start.

She may not be at a stage in life to spend a summer living in a tent & guiding on the Ark for $75 a day. What do you recommend for someone who wants to get plugged into the scene but doesn't know anyone local that's living the boating lifestyle?

--A

·
Registered
37 Posts
If she is interested, at San Juan College their Outdoor Leadership program offers three different rafting courses this summer. They are ACA rafting courses and she will learn A LOT! The cost of each class is tuition ($50 in state, $70 out of state) and a fee of $96. So for a total cost of around $150 she will get her ACA participation cert., and the fee covers all travel, food, equipment, and camping for 5 days on the water. If you want more info, call me at 505-566-3487 or email me at [email protected]
Josh

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm a 4th year kayaker, 2nd season rafter. I'm expereinced with reading river, swiftwater rescue trained, etc. I leanred from my friend who was a commercial guide, and it wasn't hard once I applied my kayaking river knowledge. Anyways, she can go with us (us being me and my girlfriend and whatever other people we find that want to go), I'm still learning too, and it would be good to have another boat to go with. I'm pretty comfy guiding class III, and I feel ready to guide on some class IV stuff. Anyhow, she can come with us sometime, I'm a good teacher.

Also, it might be a little late for this season, but you can always pay to sign up for commercial guide training. I wanted to, but don't have 2 free weeks vacation.

Anyways, 970-376-1819. I'd like to try Brown's in a week or two. Tell her to give me a shout. Also, we aren't old, I'm 26, girlfriend is 28.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Rafting is super gay, unless of course you are pulling my waterlogged ass out of the river, then it's pretty sweet. :lol:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have found that it is cool because I can bring people with little experience with me on rivers I couldn't bring them kayaking on with no experience. It's pretty sweet to be able to take my dad or my front ranger gaper friends out onto my favorite rivers. Also, you have to admit, rafts can hold tons of beer! I still kayak too. As far as I'm concerned as long as I'm out on the river on something, I'm a happy dude.

I'll be sure to fish your ass out of there from the raft, so long as you let me hang on the back of your kayak when I swim by holding my kayak!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thats the spirit Lighting! I was just trying to start shit...I like the rafting with dad idea, pops is getting tired of running class II and not really ready for anything else in plastic.

And by my estimates, my 54 gallon boat can only hold 576 beers, which will barely get me past the first drop...a very serious limitation. I'm sure you could break 1k cans of highlife in a raft!
SYOTR -Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts