Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(copy of an email I sent out that works here too)
Hi everyone. I’m sending this out to all the boaters on my email list to let you know about a disturbing and gross new EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) proposal that would allow untreated sewage to be released into rivers during periods of heavy rain. This 'blending policy' is a threat to both human and environmental health. Currently this EPA initiative is in the public comment period, meaning that we can comment and tell them that’s its a bad idea, that the public opposes the proposal etc... Contrary to what you might think, public comments do go pretty far and weigh significantly on these types of decisions. If enough people comment it is likely that we wont be paddling in untreated sewage (other than those Denver spots) in the near future.

To get a brief write up on the issue and sign an already drafted letter to the EPA administrator click the link below. You can add your own concerns or edit the drafted letter. Public comments are due January 9th. Thanks for your help. Say no to poo in rivers!

http://amriversaction.ctsg.com/action/index.asp?step=2&item=13625

(you'll have to copy + paste this into the address block, I cant get it to autolink)

It totally baffles me that THE federal agency in charge of maintaining adequate environmental and human health would even consider this. Anyways, hope everyone is having a great winter. Happy holidays!

Chris.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

Bump.

Please comment to the EPA if you oppose sewage release into rivers if you havent already. Its real easy...just click the link above.

Sorry to press this, but I really dont want to let those industry influenced beurocrats put shiznit in our rivers.

AW posted a good write up on this that really puts it into paddler-perspective.
Check it out at:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/archive/article/1044/

The articles opening line: "How does paddling past a pipe gushing untreated sewage into the river sound to you?"

Hope im not offending anyone with my mobilization attempts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks for the post Meng.

It's so hard to believe that a Bush appointee would sell out the public to make things easier on polluters and large corporations. Oh wait, that's why they're in the white house.

"Exxon/Halliburton '04 - Your Taxes, Our Profits"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts