Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well water is almost at 700 CFS in Taos, but 14 inches of snow decided to end our spring break trip, need to know if anything good is running anywhere in Colorado, or near by. Bailey, Gore, anything? If anyone is into some decent water right now let me in on it. Thanks, anyone who has the knowledge, save a kids spring break.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
kayaking CO

Head to Westwater. It's at a great play level. As for Bailey and Gore, it's a bit early for those runs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't get it. You have plenty of water at Taos and you are getting some snow. So, why would you want to paddle elsewhere? Why would snow drive you away? Put on an extra pile, put on a skull cap, grab the poggies, and have some fun.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would, I think it could be great, a little snow isnt bad, but over 30 inches from yesterday and expected by tomorrow, its a little much to be camping in espically since wet kayaking gear doesnt really dry in those conditions. Maybe by the weekend it will be better.

·
Charc in = charc out
475 Posts
hey, P the K ... drive up to cody, wyo & get on the shoshone. it's always running. it'll take you about 6-7 hrs from FC, but so will taos.... if you're that jonesin', you do what ya gotta do, right? plus, the lower mellow stretch of the clarks fork may be doable by now too ..

your fastest route would be FC to laramie, to rawlins, to muddy gap, to riverton, to shoshone, to thermopolis, to cody ...

·
Super Moderator
3,881 Posts
30 inches of snow in the last couple of days? Don't you have a pair of skis?????

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go to AZ, early season desert boating is great. We did the little C last w/e. Beware of the hike out.
The beautiful thing about boating for w/e or longer trips this time of year is: when you return home it feels that much more like spring.

Steve.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The hike out is more than prohibitive. It was more than 7 hours in the dark on the hellacious Tanner Trail. I thought I was never going to get out.
There were a couple of miles of 4-ish travertine waterfalls that were way cool.
I'll let Chorter give the trip report, it is his work. I just showed up (and suffered).

Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
stiff said:
I kind of agree that with 30 inches, why kayak? But, 30 inches is wasted on a pair of skis. Use a board.
Not at Taos, because boards are NOT ALLOWED. :lol:

That's a bold statement, considering how many telemarkers are on this board. But hey, some folks need an easier sport to pick up, so I guess there's room on the hill for everyone (although not Taos, but it's probably too steep for boarding anyway).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
We were all set to go hit the little c until I talked to Jared on Sunday and he told us that it was not worth it. He said that he would do it if it were at 3-4 thousand, instead of the 800 at Cameron that they started with. He told me he wouldn't do it again at that level. Although it did look scenic, and it's rising now, currently at 2 grand...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts