Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to kayaking, looking to buy my first boat. I live near the Chatahoochie, which isn't too fast of a river and I suppose I'll mostly be doing river running, I think? Aiming to get comfortable and work my way up/figure out what I like.

I've been looking for a good, cheap boat to start in, and it's been pretty difficult. I think the best I've found so far have been a dagger showdown for $370 and a pyranha inazone 222 for $500. The showdown is more appealing for its price, but I haven't found a ton of reviews online on either. Any advice would be really appreciated! Definitely open to other/all suggestions too. Can't wait to get on the water

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nothing like listening to some Nirvana and a getting some good enders in your Dagger Showdown.

Those are both really old boats and I think you could do better for those prices. Are you checking boatertalk.com for used boats? That site is more southeast oriented. I would be looking for a design no more than 10 years old in the river runner, river running/playboat, or playboat categories depending on your level of aggressiveness. Look at the swap section here - for 500 bucks you should be able to get a used boat with a design from the last 5 years. F-ck the 1990s.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Those boats will each be fine for what you are looking for. $500 for an inazone is insane. I'd pay $300 tops for either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy shit, just from a glance boatertalk is way better than what I've been searching through. Thank you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Look for the "Southern Sherpas" facebook group for some Georgia paddlers. Join up and post. They're some nice guys and may have gear to sell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all the advice, y'all. I found a few jackson villains for sale on boatertalk, really hoping someone bites. Hoping that'll do the trick for around $350?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(Love the look of that liquid logic one, but I'm 120 lbs, not sure if a large would be too heavy/hard to learn how to roll)

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The Liquid Logic CR series sucked ass, there's a reason they don't make them anymore... The Jackson Villain on the other hand, is a great river runner and a fantastic deal at 350 so long as the boat isn't cracked or missing outfitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts