Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a better helmet. Have the NRS havoc. Considering the WRSI Trident, Shred Ready TDUB Carbon, Shaggy Carbon. Also open to other suggestions. My head is on the smaller side.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had the chance to try both the sweet and wrsi line I trust them both I have a large head wrsi is better in my opinion in terms of staying tight on my head/comfortable and sizing outfitting hope that helps. And the strutter it is a bad ass helmet for using as a sun visor comfy but just not to my liking as protection

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rock a WRSI Trident. Good solid helmet. It comes with a bunch of different pads to customize the fit. They are also designed to take multiple hits, aka last longer.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Why don't you skip the Chinese crap and get a bad ass, one of a kind American helmet?

PS Helmets

I had a friend smash up his WRSI Trident last week. We took it and showed it to Paul. He was not impressed with it. The helmet he sold my friend feels way more solid!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why don't you skip the Chinese crap and get a bad ass, one of a kind American helmet?

PS Helmets

I had a friend smash up his WRSI Trident last week. We took it and showed it to Paul. He was not impressed with it. The helmet he sold my friend feels way more solid!

What do you own stock in the company? Those things look like a joke! Do they come with a Cracker Jack prize too!? Wouldn't be caught dead in one of those my sweet rocker has way more protection.

·
Registered
993 Posts
What do you own stock in the company? Those things look like a joke! Do they come with a Cracker Jack prize too!? Wouldn't be caught dead in one of those my sweet rocker has way more protection.
Like PS has stock holders.... That's a good one

Those are the real deal bro, not a joke at all. The dude that makes those has developed and sold to or been ripped off by basically every major ww kayak manufacture. He makes the sickest squirt boats too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

PS Helmets

Thanks Randaddy. I was looking for a old school helmet, and those appear to be the real deal. If only I could afford a RivrStyx paddle.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't know anything about PS helmets, but my concern would be the helmet lining. It sounds like it just uses some minicell foam for fit. The foam lining is a big part of impact absorption. EPP tends to be the gold standard for multi-impact foam like you want for kayaking. For rafting multi-impact may be less important as I would think you're more likely to be worried about one big hit falling out of a raft.

The fact that your buddies Trident was smashed up doesn't necessarily seem bad to me - depending. Especially on a composite shell, cracking is going to be part of the impact absorption.

Anyway, Sweet, SR, and WRSI seem to be the major and most popular players. For helmets though, you really ought to go try it on to test fit. I found Sweet helmets just don't fit my head very well. I find the WRSI occipital lock being part of the same system as the straps annoying and harder to adjust (plus I think they look kind of goofy). So I've gone with SR. Even though you pay a bit more, the light weight of the SR carbons is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have a SR shaggy right now. Fits great with the red (large?) pads inside. I'm looking to add a full face to the gear pile this winter. I'm hoping the sweet full face fits my head, as it seems nicer and more comfy than the SR full face, and everyone loves them. But it doesn't fit I'll gladly get the SR full face for less money.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Paul Shriner makes amazing helmets, sorry you don't know about them. I was in his workshop in Pennsylvania last week and got to try on several designs - I was blown away by the sturdiness and quality of the helmets. Holding a WRSI side by side it was obvious that the PS Composites product would last longer and take hard hits better.

My friend bought a couple boats while we were there. Fiberglass kayaks are amazing!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That may be so, but they need a better website and pictures. That site is pretty bad, and does not make me want to buy one of those helmets.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Holding two helmets side by side and looking at them is the golden standard for determining effectiveness. Screw all those John Hopkins research lab liberal ivory tower bullshit tests they run on the WRSI.

·
addict
741 Posts
Sweet Protection's Wanderer and Rocker models are awesome. They do a great job staying in place on my head. I probably won't buy anything else.

A few weeks ago I was with a paddler who flipped and hit her head and neck while wearing a Wrsi Current. It cracked. The helmet saved her from a bad head injury. It did it's job very well. For the price, great helmet.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All you have to do is smack your ear off a rock 1 time to forget about the WRSI Trident and PS.

And did I head someone justify a helmet based on sun protection. I don't know what you guys call important. But I wear a helmet to protect my HEAD!

Carbon helmets like the PS are a complete waste of money and are nothing more than a fashion statement.

At the end of the day, its your head and just because you paid $100 plus don't make it good.

All the helmets the op listed provide more fashion then protection.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
WRSI is supposed to break apart. Just like a bike helmet and most snow sports helmets. They are 1 major hit helmets. Researched in cooperation with JHU.

WRSI does not fit my head well. I rock the Sweet Strutter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
WRSI is supposed to break apart. Just like a bike helmet and most snow sports helmets. They are 1 major hit helmets. Researched in cooperation with JHU. .
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!

WRSI are designed to take multiple hits. The guy who stared the company had that beef with single layer carbon helmets. Once a carbon helmet cracks is all over. His son died on the NF of the Payette because his carbon helmet did hold up. WRSI are double layered to take multiple hits.

Maybe you should research this stuff??

This is the 50% part dead wrong?

Check it out! http://www.wrsisafety.com/story/

·
addict
741 Posts
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!

WRSI are designed to take multiple hits. The guy who stared the company had that beef with single layer carbon helmets. Once a carbon helmet cracks is all over. His son died on the NF of the Payette because his carbon helmet did hold up. WRSI are double layered to take multiple hits.

Maybe you should research this stuff??

This is the 50% part dead wrong?

What something is designed to do, and what actually happens are two different things. The young lady I paddled with last month took one hit to her wrsi. It cracked but saved her from traumatic brain injury. Successful equipment in my opinion. Now she needs a new one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What something is designed to do, and what actually happens are two different things. The young lady I paddled with last month took one hit to her wrsi. It cracked but saved her from traumatic brain injury. Successful equipment in my opinion. Now she needs a new one.

My wrsi has take aleast 5 big hits! And still strong with 4 years of heavy use. Its as solid now as it was then.

I would be very interested in you providing a pic of said friends damaged helmet!

·
addict
741 Posts
My wrsi has take aleast 5 big hits! And still strong with 4 years of heavy use. Its as solid now as it was then.

I would be very interested in you providing a pic of said friends damaged helmet!

Will ask her for a picture.

And four years? Five big hits? Really? I replace the equipment that can help keep me alive more often than that. Sounds like you have definitely hit your head before.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts