Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete novice in WW Kayaking. I am just getting started and trying to get the last of my gear together. Right now I am paddling sans-helmet on I and II+.

I need a helmet for a larger head. I have to wear a XXL motorcycle helmet or a 7 3/4 fitted hat if that helps. Most of the time, it is a bite in the front and back, the width is not the issue.

Any suggestions? I have tried several, Shred Ready is a no go.

Thanks for the help from a newby.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
google ski helmets, they offer xxl and xxxl. I have been using them to kayak for many years. The european ski helmets are certified to a much higher standard than any of the US kayak helmets or at least all the US kayak helmets I have looked at.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that out. Thanks.
The liners won't absorb water? I looked at a hockey helmet out of curiosity, but the one I looked at looked like it would be a sponge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out the Shred Ready Tdub helmet. Or the Sweet Rocker Full Face; Sweet Protection | Helmets

The Tdub runs a little larger than the Sweets, but both are good size. I have a huge head and last year had that + ton of hair and the Tdub fit well, stayed snug.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Redman,

I have the same problem you do. I have tried on many helmets, and the Predator Lee helmet has been the only one I've found that fits without having to cutout foam.

Predator Lee Helmet

note - I paid a bit less than CKS is selling them for, but I had make a journey to WV to get it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the Shred Ready Tdub helmet. Or the Sweet Rocker Full Face; Sweet Protection | Helmets

The Tdub runs a little larger than the Sweets, but both are good size. I have a huge head and last year had that + ton of hair and the Tdub fit well, stayed snug.

I tried the Shred Ready Tdub and a couple others, they would not work front to back. I guess I could trim padding out if I have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redman,

I have the same problem you do. I have tried on many helmets, and the Predator Lee helmet has been the only one I've found that fits without having to cutout foam.

Predator Lee Helmet

note - I paid a bit less than CKS is selling them for, but I had make a journey to WV to get it.

Thanks. I will check around and see if I can find one.
I really want to try one on before buying. Having been stuck with helmets that don't fit for other things, I want to do this right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd find a shop with WRSI stuff and try on a M/L shell with Large foam inserts. I have a pretty big melon and still use medium inserts on the sides of mine. The larges were a bit loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had good luck with my WRSI helmet and I too have a 7 1/2 + size head. The trouble is with the snap-on face guard- it doesn't actually drop down far enough to cover my chin, basically sitting in line with the nose and mouth. I tried on a shred ready full face helmet the other day and it wasn't even close.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a big noggin' 7 7/8

I wear the pro tec helmet that dude recomended for playboating and taking it easy.

I also have the full face from sweet for creeking. shred readys did not work, i couldn't even get my head in it.

the sweet helmet mesured 61-63cm I had to take out all the soft foam with a razor knife and sand the inside.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah man x2 for the Predator, i have a big grape as well, thing is awesome! I used to wear my ski helmet, but the lack of brim resulted in a rock to the forehead, which resulted in two black eyes! so pumped i finally found a nice brimmer that fits. looks sweet too!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd find a shop with WRSI stuff and try on a M/L shell with Large foam inserts. I have a pretty big melon and still use medium inserts on the sides of mine. The larges were a bit loose.
That'd probably be a mistake. I saw someone post that a while back, so I took a leap of faith and bought a M/L WRSI Current online.

I have the same problem with a front-back fit issue, wearing a 7.5" ballcap. The WRSI fits way to small. Now I'm stuck with a brand new helmet that doesn't fit..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the exact same front to back issues and have only found 2 helmets that fit:

1) Sweet rocker fullface with no padding.

2) Head Trip Weapon with some padding. Call Head Trip direct. They have some sizes and options that are not on their website. My helmet wasn't even the largest size. And they used to offer a 100% no questions asked 30 day return period. Even if you don't like the color.

For reference I tried a TDub with no padding and it killed me. Their fullface would not even start to go on my head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

I had no idea I would get this many responses. This helps a lot as far a place to start. I just need to find places to try them on.

I just have not found much in my area.

Maybe up at the Nantahala store they will have a better selection. It would be a good excuse to run up there this Saturday.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bern (ski helmets) also make a kayaking helmet. I have a pretty large egg and can wear the large sized shell when I ski. For paddling, I have an L/XL Sweet Strutter and also a large WRSI.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
That'd probably be a mistake. I saw someone post that a while back, so I took a leap of faith and bought a M/L WRSI Current online.

I have the same problem with a front-back fit issue, wearing a 7.5" ballcap. The WRSI fits way to small. Now I'm stuck with a brand new helmet that doesn't fit..
I completely agree. M/L WRSI with no pads won't fit my 7 5/8" melon. When I buy a cowboy hat, I buy a "long oval".

Maybe we need to write WRSI to ask them to make an XL shell. I would love to rock a WRSI!! My wife and daughters both wear WRSI's. I wouldn't want them wearing anything else...and could understand they'd want dear old Dad to also have the same level of safety.

I bought a close-out ProTec Two Face in XL flavor. I left it by my wood stove to soften slightly and threw an NRS strap around the middle to oval it. Left it like that all winter. Fits like a glove.

I don't recommend it to anyone else for obvious liability reasons, but I'd rather have a helmet that fits great than no helmet at all.

ProTec is out of the watersports helmet business as of last year, focusing on bike/skateboard helmets.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a big melon and run a school with some big heads. I have never had any luck with WRSI. Shred ready Full metal jacket maybe, Tdub and standard no unless you cut the foam out. Nrs havoc Livery is gigantic and adjustable. NRS Chaos comes in sizes up to xl. Both cheap and have a strap that keep the helmet over the forehead.

Peter

·
Registered
711 Posts
WRSI Update

I've been pestering WRSI for the last two years to make a larger sized helmet. The last two years they've stated one was on the drawing board. When I contacted them a few months ago they said it would not happen this year (2012). Any/all calls and emails to WRSI requesting a larger helmet may help them move on it sometime before 2020.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I wear 7 and 7/8 hat or xxl Boeri Ski Helmet for kayaking.

I wrote WRSI a year ago (some one else mentioned this as well) the answer I got was not much demand for size xxl helmet but it was under consideration.

Maybe if a bunch of us asked for a xxl size shell it would get their attention.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I wear 7 and 7/8 hat or xxl Boeri Ski Helmet for kayaking.

I wrote WRSI a year ago (some one else mentioned this as well) the answer I got was not much demand for size xxl helmet but it was under consideration.

Maybe if a bunch of us asked for a xxl size shell it would get their attention.
Whitewater Research & Safety Institute, Inc.
Business Correspondence
P.O. Box 1804
Park City, UT 84098
Shipping/Receiving
4375 W. 1980 S.
Suite 100
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
USA

contact us
tel. (435) 901-2571
fax. (435) 604-7711

[email protected]
[email protected]

Email I sent:
MT4Runner said:
Good morning!

I'm writing to inquire if you have any plans to produce an XL/XXL shell WRSI Current helmet?

I have WRSI helmets for my wife and daughters--my wife has one of the gorgeous lightweight carbon fiber shells--and I'd love to have the same level of safety for my own noggin.

I wear a 7 5/8" hat and have a "long oval" head. I'm sure an XL/XXL shell with some Medium side pads and a Large front pad would fit me great!!

You've already put in the research and development. You just need inner and outer shell molds, and need to put them in production. Your manufacturing--inner foam, rivets, buckles, straps, velcro install and shipping processes would be no different than they are for your smaller shells.

I wouldn't even mind if they came in any color I wanted as long as it's black ala Henry Ford! Besides, there's no doubt that the XL/XXL shell would be appealing to your tactical and rescue customers.

Please make your great helmets available for us big guys!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts