Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I can't say anything either way about the drysuit, but I know Monarch purchased HH ski gear for it's employees a couple years back and most of them I talked to said it sucked. Would soak up the water and get soggy and heavy...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just looking at this I have to ask why. Just looking the Helly Hanson's web site a few key differences that stand out between it and a Kokatat GMER are.

1. Rubber Socks vs Kokatat's Gortex
2. Neoprene Gaskets vs Latex Gaskets
3. Cost 1000 vs 1000 for a Kokatat GMER

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Rafters don't use tunnels, just kayakers, thus this post is in the rafting forum you sillypants.

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
I didnt even look at the forum, just the title... What if one day you want to kayak though... I dont think I'd buy a drysuit without a tunnel, not as versatile or as easy to resell.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Helly Hansen is a Norwegian company that has been making drysuits longer than any company I know of. I wore an old school Helly way back in 88 with a big brass zipper on the back. The one you are looking at is an inshore small boat-racing suit for sailors. That said they don't make suits specific for rafting or kayaking but I think you would be dry.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That said they don't make suits specific for rafting or kayaking but I think you would be dry.
I could be wrong but I believe they got their start making suits for crab-fisherman like on that Dangerous Catch show, if it keeps them warm and dry it's got to work on a river as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those of you who do both rafting and kayaking -- how big of a mistake would it be to use this dry suit for kayaking? Like the original poster I can get a good deal on this dry suit as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,848 Posts
For those of you who do both rafting and kayaking -- how big of a mistake would it be to use this dry suit for kayaking? Like the original poster I can get a good deal on this dry suit as well.
No tunnel equals boat full of water. If you have a really tight skirt you can kind of get away with it in easy water; pretty much no good for playboating or big water.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Before drysuits were made specifically for kayakers with a built in tunnel I used a short sleeved squirt top from MountainSurf with a good waist seal to keep the water from going down my skirt tunnel. This HH suit doesn't have a cover over the zipper so you might get some residual water drip on your lap thorugh the zipper.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How are you getting such a good deal? Closeouts, or is the product not quite right? For 70% off it is probably worth trying, even without a pee slot. It would be hard to not break even selling it used if you didn't like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
... I used a short sleeved squirt top from MountainSurf with a good waist seal to keep the water from going down my skirt tunnel...
Hullflyer, I wondered if wearing a paddling jacket over the dry suit would solve the problem of water leaking through the spray skirt -- is it a total hassle?

As for the deal, it's a one off chance I've got.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sawback, it does reduce the amount of water going down the top of your skirt tunnel. However this also reduces your torso mobility as you have an additional layer over the suit. You also tend to feel more clammy as most paddling jackets are not gore-tex and tend not to breathe as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts