Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a permit for July 20-26, can take off river 1 day early and make it a 5 day trip. So I am by myself, solo, as none of my boating buddies can go. Looking for a minimum of 1 more boat. Would like to keep it a smaller trip, 10-12 max people. Also be nice if someone had run before, just a bit blind for this run. PM me if anyone is serious and can make a commitment to do this. Shared cost, basically permit is free ($6) so it is shuttle/gas/food/beer and whatever else you may deem necessary.:p

·
Registered
107 Posts
I picked up a permit for July 20-26, can take off river 1 day early and make it a 5 day trip. So I am by myself, solo, as none of my boating buddies can go. Looking for a minimum of 1 more boat. Would like to keep it a smaller trip, 10-12 max people. Also be nice if someone had run before, just a bit blind for this run. PM me if anyone is serious and can make a commitment to do this. Shared cost, basically permit is free ($6) so it is shuttle/gas/food/beer and whatever else you may deem necessary.:p
I so wish your permit was a week later. My uncle and I ran it a week earlier last year, and it was incredible. We're trying to get back this year again, but can't until after July 27th. The wild blackberries along the banks were ripe and so sweet! Rapids are fun, and not terribly difficult if you hit the line and make a pull or two.

If you haven't picked up the Rivermaps map yet, I'd highly recommend it. Duwayne Whitis sent me a pre-release version for our trip last year, for which I provided him a lot of notes, a lot of which made it into the final version. :)

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mark
Thanks, got a rivermap already, they are indispensable on trips like this. Maybe you could hit me up on some of the better campsites, especially any with shade.

Kevin

·
Registered
362 Posts
High Recommendation

Anyone considering this should know that Kevin is a professional chef and you will greatly benefit from his skill :D His river grub is unmatched!!!:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just switched my July 2 to July 1 to better accomodate the group, will be releasing the July 2 date. Are you going all the way to Heller? Planning to row the flats? I guess so if 5 days. I liked the Pine Bar campsite, good shade but last year there was poop under every rock - V. NASTY! Battle Creek campsite is nice for the first night, shade, old cabin and apricot trees - yum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Albert

HAHA funny guy. Thanks for the recommend on the food. Don't know if this fits you but thinking of Deschutes or Rouge a couple days after this trip since I'm already so close. I'll email you and tell ya more. Wishing you could go but I understand. Probably why I'm not married, I'd postpone to go rafting. LOL:p

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Anyone considering this should know that Kevin is a professional chef and you will greatly benefit from his skill :D His river grub is unmatched!!!:D
Kevin, unlike you, Mark and I like to cook so only made about 30-32 miles in 5 days 4 night's before we got off.;) Did 2 layovers to cook and fish. We need to hook up for a trip and have a cook off, loser still wins!:D

Good rafting buddies, then good food, on a river, in that order of importance.

Do not let Mark off the hook about our camp sites they were fantastic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
june 24th

I've vot a june 24th permit coming up for hells canyon. So far its just me my boat and my dog. Why does it seem like everyone is guiding this year? Hit me up if you're interested. Im gonna hit up the Grande Rhonde first 18th-22nd. Fishing probably wont be great but seldom get the chance to run these.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Bighorn

Sounds like a plan, a river trip with a cook-off. And you're right, there wouldn't be a loser at all. By the way, did you catch that Humpy in Alaska?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kevin - here are some of my notes from our trip last year.

Noted that Brush Creek at 244.7 looked gorgeous as a low water camp. We didn't stop there.

We stayed 2 nights at Sand Dunes camp at 241.9. Kitchen area was open on a nice level rock ledge area, and trees at the back of the camp provide good shade for 2-3 people all day long. Great fishing for small mouth bass on the shore and big patch of wild blackberry bushes. Not much in the way of hiking opportunities, although I did hike up the ridge while there.

Saddle Creek Camp at 236.1 - we didn't stop there, and I really wish we had. Regs say you can only stay one night (I think), but it looked incredible from the river. Lots of shade. Pull in looked to be below the creek mouth in an eddy.

Waterspout Rapid - Our opinion is that the scout is quite a bit more dangerous than the rapid itself, scrambling up steep slope to get to trail so that you can see the rapid. That was a pretty low water, the line was pretty obvious, and I recall only one or two strokes needed.

Then we stayed 2 nights at Yreka Bar camp at 228.6. Landing at this one is very shallow, so plan to be beached in the morning. Large camp on sand with lots of shade. Very easy access to the trail that goes through the Eagle's nest. Highly recommended to make the walk up - rock overhang that the trail was blasted through is pretty cool, and provides very nice views upstream and downstream. Wild blackberry patches here as well.

More notes - I noted that the Pine Bar camp at 227.5 looked like it may have been the nicest looking camp in the upper canyon. Lot of shade available. If we weren't running low on cocktail ice by this time, we probably would have stayed one more night here on our way out.

Mile 245.8 Stud Creek camp looked nice from the river.
Mile 239.5 Lower Granite Creek camp provides access to the trail up to the pictorgraphs and to the scout point for the Granite Creek rapid.
Mile 229.8 Johnson Bar Landing camp - didn't look like there was any shade available.
Mile 224.4 Dry Gulch Camp - didn't see any available shade
Mile 224.3 Lower Dry Gulch camp - looked like this one had decent shade
Upper Pittsburg Landing camps - of the 6, 2 of them had shade available. The other 4 looked pretty open and hot.

1st two pictures are of Sand Dunes camp, third is Yreka camp taken from the trail up to the Eagle's nest.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Hey Bighorn

Sounds like a plan, a river trip with a cook-off. And you're right, there wouldn't be a loser at all. By the way, did you catch that Humpy in Alaska?
Yes, a two mile hike in from a remote tent camp. I was fishing for the artic char and could not keep them off my line. Made catching char hard.;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Buzzards
Still looking for 1 boat for this trip on Hells Canyon. Got until about 7/4 or I need to turn in the permit, just won't do a single boat trip for safety reasons.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is so much jet boat traffic on Hells that it would be no problem at all for a one boat trip in terms of safety. I doubt you'd wait for more than a half hour at any rapid during the day for another boat to come by. The whitewater is also really forgiving.

·
Registered
358 Posts
One boat or one person? What is your skill level? We would run one boat with two people on this stretch; if you don't like the look of something one person stays on shore with a throw rope. Would offer to join you but conflicts with a Main trip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wshutt

Hey thanks for the earlier camp spots.
I'm a 3/4 boater and I am totally solo at this point, just me a boat a bit of gear and a cooler of beer:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
All summer Granite and Wild Sheep are big IMHO, solid III - ability to follow a line set by a good lead boater but no fancy moves required. My first full solo run in a Wildcat but I had a good lead to follow and I've rowed on and off for several years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
markdl this was the best beta on campsites I found on the buzz. Thanks. I am going next week, July 18 - 24. This info will totally help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dirty camps - again!

Had a lovely trip down Hells Canyon last week but issues with camp hygiene again. Battle Creek camp is very nice, highly recommended and apricots! Steep Creek camp was nice until we walked to the back of camp - piles of human poop and TP. This is what we came across last year at Pine Bar; nasty, nasty. Not sure if if is from floaters, power boaters or hikers but it's bad down there. Can't help thinking that pulling out those bathrooms years ago was a BAD idea given the amount of traffic:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts