Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some disappointing news today as I ignorantly called to arrange shuttle for the Hell's Canyon trip I'd been planning all summer, and the convo went like this:

Shuttle: "You the 11a or 1300 put in?"
Me: “Whaa? Permit's self-issue on 9/19...”
Shuttle “construx at dam access has limited permits to 2/day, and now lottery extended through 9/30.”
Me: "That's bad."
Shuttle: "BUT, everyone's cancelling their trips!"
Me: "Great!"
Shuttle: "Less that 100' smoke vis due to a 40k acre blaze only 14% contained 30 miles above the dam..."
Me: "Wah, wah, wahhhh..."

How are my chances that:
1) the Snake office calls back and tells me "Sure, we have a 1300 put in permit for your convenience available,"
2) The wind shifts perfectly to push all that smoke out of my eyes and allows my kids to breath that crisp, fresh, western mountain air?

Lie to me if you must. This trip's seems a bust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sure. Self-issue after 9/10 according to the intertoob, except during "these times," because, 2020.

Rec.gov:
"Permits for floating the river from Hells Canyon Creek Launch in the primary season are available through Recreation.gov. Primary season is from the Friday preceding Memorial Day through September 10th each year. Due to construction to improve the Hells Canyon Creek launch site, the season will be extended in 2020 to September 30th.

Self-issue river permits are required for the entire river corridor outside of the primary season, but do not require an advanced reservation. They can be self-issued at the river portals."

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got some disappointing news today as I ignorantly called to arrange shuttle for the Hell's Canyon trip I'd been planning all summer, and the convo went like this:

Shuttle “construx at dam access has limited permits to 2/day, and now lottery extended through 9/30.”
Shuttle: "Less that 100' smoke vis due to a 40k acre blaze only 14% contained 30 miles above the dam..."

How are my chances that:
1) the Snake office calls back and tells me "Sure, we have a 1300 put in permit for your convenience available,"
2) The wind shifts perfectly to push all that smoke out of my eyes and allows my kids to breath that crisp, fresh, western mountain air?

The smoke shifts sure and I’m in S OR but if you’ve never experienced wildfire smoke like this take my word for it and stay away. If you can only see 100’ that’s pretty bad. We have an AQI of about 400 right now and I can still see a couple blocks down the street, granted it’s hazy.

·
Registered
3 Posts

How are my chances that:

·
Registered
3 Posts
As of right now, smoke is pushed out and 3 mile visibility, changing daily to hourly with wind. Have also been told that they are letting none permits put in after permit trips. Not sure on how accurate that is, but it’s changing daily and almost hourly also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go for it! There is smoke everywhere. We just got off the dam to Pittsburgh two weeks ago. There was smoke then, there will be smoke till the snow start to fly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I debated on floating in September but didn’t see any cancelations on rec.gov. Odd, so I called the river office. Due to construction, they aren’t releasing canceled permits thru the end of September. I complained because they have failed to communicate that anywhere. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I debated on floating in September but didn’t see any cancelations on rec.gov. Odd, so I called the river office. Due to construction, they aren’t releasing canceled permits thru the end of September. Good luck
...Can confirm following conversation with the Snake office, who also told me that self-issue is still in play. Confused, she clarified that we might have to wait until 1630 to access the ramp due to construction activity, but that due to the prevailing regulations regarding non-prime dates, LEO would not have foundation on which to obstruct or ticket and put-ons with self-issue permits. So, this trip comes down to wind direction. Weird times, these.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So can you launch before Oct 1st without a permit thru rec.gov? I’m confused.
Me, three.

Effectively, I'm told the self-issue permit is available based on policy, and that the extended lottery season was more of an administrative adjustment, and that they'd elected to decline reissuing of canceled permits in order to facilitate uninterrupted work on the motor launch site, which had to be periodically vacated in order to facilitate float launches.

The representative told me as recently as last Friday, she had told a lady who found herself in my same circumstance (surprised by the extended lottery season) having arrived in the area to be joined by other party members converging from all over the country, compete with plane travel, etc. She consulted LEO and reported to this woman that LEO told her the self-issue permits remain available for completion, and specify the dates anchored in the policy from typical years. As such, by completing this permit, she could launch without risk of legal obstruction or repercussion.

It seems the barrier to overcome would be heavy equipment and hardhats, who all disappear at 1630, after which the LEO reported she "could do what she wanted."

Weird, indeed--and awfully governmental of them to shoot from the hip like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts