Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to MT Buzz, recently relocated to Colorado and looking to start rafting more. Transitioning from kayak (10yrs) to raft or cat. Ran parts of the Poudre, Arkansas and Colorado last year and looking for local experienced group to float with. Interested in both Day and Multi day trips. Can go mid-week as well.

Many thanks,

Spence

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Welcome to Colorado. Where are you relocating from?

Posting your interest here on MB is a good start. Just to engage in a little small talk to stimulate responses, what type of raft do you have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks brother..... Moved from DC last year. Used a 10.5 cataraft last session (R2) but looking to purchase a RMR 14' or 16".....or maybe a 14' cataraft with frame and oars.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Zercon was correct concerning making friends quickly by getting a permit. And, you were correct, it is a bit like winning the lottery. But you should try. After completing your first application at recreation.gov, the rest get easier. Also, it not that expensive.

If you do plan on doing many multidays, I suggest getting the 14' or 16' RMR. If you got a 14' cat you might find it on the small side for the longer river trips such as the Middle Fork Salmon, Deso-Grey and other week long adventures. After saying that I'm sure we can expect some feedback.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
There are several excellent boat stores in Colorado. Most of them come spring in a non-Covid year will have excellent boat swaps if you plan to buy used.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the beta. I'll start the permit slog..... Julie at RMR mentioned have a couple of blems at a reasonable price. Cat was for solo trips, so I'll start with the raft. Now 14' or 16"?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Here is a link that will provide links to significant assistance during the permitting process.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Thanks for the beta. I'll start the permit slog..... Julie at RMR mentioned have a couple of blems at a reasonable price. Cat was for solo trips, so I'll start with the raft. Now 14' or 16"?
14' is the best "quiver of one" raft, but 16' is great for multidays
if you already have the smaller cat for a play boat.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello! What part of Colorado? I’m always looking for new people to boat with. I live in summit and try to do as many multidays trips as possible, have a wife and 2 yr old in tow a lot but always down for a day run too. I’d go with a 14, 16 is great for desert run multi days but can be a kinda big on a low water year. I have a 13 and want to add a 15 to my collection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the offer Quigge. In Louisville. Spend a lot of time in Summit Co b/c snowboarding.... Love to connect when you start hitting the river. Going with the 14’

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Check in as soon as the lottery drawings have happen. You will see posts from people with invites for openings they have on their permits. Eight of the 12 people I raft with the most I met through invites by them to me or me to them. If cruising the posts for an invite, be sure to have a complete list gear (not your personnel gear), but group gear. Like coolers,water jugs, groover, kitchen box etc. that you have. If you do not have any or not much gear do not forget to offer to help carry someone else's group gear. If you have room and do not mind doing so you might offer to carry someone's mother-n-law. All these suggestions might not work, but will not hurt. Good luck in the lottery.
I see your leaning towards a 14 footer. My favorite is my 12 foot RMR for one or two people up to 8 days. I can self support easily and it is so simple to row. I have a 16 foot raft, it has not seen the water for 6 years (too big imho) and a 16 foot cat that maybe hits the water once a year if I'm going to be on a badass high water trip. 14 is good versatile size.

Reactions: GeoRon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Check in as soon as the lottery drawings have happen. You will see posts from people with invites for openings they have on their permits. Eight of the 12 people I raft with the most I met through invites by them to me or me to them. If cruising the posts for an invite, be sure to have a complete list gear (not your personnel gear), but group gear. Like coolers,water jugs, groover, kitchen box etc. that you have. If you do not have any or not much gear do not forget to offer to help carry someone else's group gear. If you have room and do not mind doing so you might offer to carry someone's mother-n-law. All these suggestions might not work, but will not hurt. Good luck in the lottery.
I see your leaning towards a 14 footer. My favorite is my 12 foot RMR for one or two people up to 8 days. I can self support easily and it is so simple to row. I have a 16 foot raft, it has not seen the water for 6 years (too big imho) and a 16 foot cat that maybe hits the water once a year if I'm going to be on a badass high water trip. 14 is good versatile size.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Most people will probably recommend what they have. I have a wide 16' boat that is great for multi-days with the family. It also floats higher than a heavily-loaded 14', so I don't feel like it's much of a liability in lower/smaller water (e.g. low water pumphouse). You don't often shoot a raft through a slot just wider than the tubes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There are a couple FB Groups that become active as the water comes up. These are good places to find people doing day runs, especially on the Poudre: WWIC (White Water Inflatables Colorado) and then there is this one: Front Range Whitewater Inflatables

Spence, lets keep in touch because I can do midweek as well.

As far as a boat, there is no such thing as a perfect boat although I got by with a 14' Trib for years. Then decided I wanted something a bit more challenging so picked up a 13' Wave Destroyer.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts