Mountain Buzz banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I can post a daily picture from my deck in salmon... today is the clearest day in a while... we had a crazy lightning storm last night but did come with some rain... I know they have already had 4 or five new fires out of it but believe they caught them small. I expect more to pop up. the fire by lookout pass closed 42 for a while but it's back open. This is the road from the bighole Valley people coming from eastern montana should be aware it could close again.. gibbonsville is on evacuation standby... if you are familiar with ready, set, go. They are at ready. Keep an eye on this as it could close 93 north of salmon if thing go wrong.. The fire by panther creek is still growing.. they closed panther creek rd... they have heavy logging equipment making a contingency line on the ridge road. Which is the ridge above salmon. That's a long ways from the fire... all these fires are going to take a season ending event aka snow. Current Pic just taken.. it will change tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

This might explain our recent thunderstorms and the smoke being pushed out of salmon today. If you look at the current smoke map "picture attached " you can see that same system pushing the smoke north. It will still setttle in the canyon at night.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got this as an email from Rec.gov:

Attention Main Salmon Launch Permit holders:

We wanted to inform you there are two fires in the Salmon River Corridor on the Nez Perce – Clearwater National Forest. Firefighting resources are actively engaged in suppression operations on the Dixie and Jumbo fires; as of 7/15/21 the Dixie Fire is at 23,706 acres and the Jumbo Fire is at 1,244 acres. At this time the river remains open to boating and boaters will need to stop on river right at Whitewater Ranch (near river mile 39) for an additional briefing with updates about the fire and camping situation; certain camps or sections of river in the vicinity of the fire may be unavailable and these locations may change on a daily basis.

Keep up with smoke/air quality updates and find current Dixie and Jumbo fire information here:

Idaho DEQ Air Quality: airquality.deq.idaho.gov

Weather and Smoke: Fire and Smoke Map

Fire Information Email: [email protected]

Fire Information Facebook: @DixieJumboFire

Fire Information Twitter: @NPClwNFs

InciWeb: Dixie-Jumbo Fires Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System

Key points to remember:

• Understand that this is an evolving and constantly changing situation.
  • Sections of river may be unavailable to camping. Groups may need to prepare to share camps, be courteous with other groups, and get creative with finding and utilizing the unnamed dispersed camps within the corridor. There are many unidentified camps.
  • Bring extra food and water.
  • Fire may occur on either side of the river.
  • Fire situations and river management could change at any time. As groups arrive to the Corn Creek launch site, river checkers will advise on the current situation.
Things to know before you go:

• Expect rapidly changing conditions, including erratic winds that rapidly spread fire.
  • Fire can travel quickly. Check the current fire situation before your launch and heed safety warnings: Dixie-Jumbo Fires Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System.
  • Access points such as airstrips and roads may have closures.
  • Campsites may present hazards. Do not camp under or near burning or burned trees/limbs.
  • Smoky conditions may decrease visibility and disable aircraft and satellite service.
  • If encountering fire, assess whether to eddy out or float through on the opposite side of the river.
  • Watch for rolling, falling, or floating debris such as rocks and burned/burning trees and areas that may have burned underground and are therefore hollow. Stay clear of active fire suppression operations and crews.
  • Helicopters may be working in the area and dipping from water sources.
  • Be aware of heavy vehicles and increased traffic due to fire support vehicles when driving to/from launch and take-out sites.
  • There is increased risk of flash flooding.
For permit questions please contact the Corn Creek River Checkers at [email protected].

Thank you for your patience,

Wilderness & River Program

Salmon – Challis National Forest

·
Registered
8 Posts
Salmon River Boater Advisory
Dixie-Jumbo Fires Wildfire
Announcements – 6 hrs. ago
from inciweb:

ATTENTION
SALMON RIVER BOATERS
Active Fire from Whitewater Ranch
to Mackay Bar

The “Keep on Floating Order has been lifted between Whitewater Ranch and Jim Moore Place on the main Salmon River; however, the Dixie Fire remains active on the north side of the river from Allison Ranch to potentially Mackay Bar. Boaters are directed to STOP at Allison Ranch for additional briefing and updates on the fire situation.
      • Active fire is on the north side of the river from Allison Ranch to potentially Mackay Bar.
      • Fire danger is very high, and firefighting activities are in progress.
      • STOP at Allison Ranch for additional briefing and updates on the fire situation.
      • Designated camping areas along the river are open for camping;however, fire may occur on either side of the river.
      • Be alert for rolling, flaming debris in river canyon slopes.
      • Be advised that the current fire situation is an evolving and ever-changing situation.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
They are evacuating residents of lower panther creek due to Mudlick fire... panther runs into the main on your way to corn creek... we have a few new fires that it looks like they are not going to catch.. resources have been diverted from some of the larger incidents to try and contain new starts. Things are not going well on the home front. It's easy to get tunnel vision on the Dixie fire but there are other players in the game.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The picture above says it all...
Just off the main today. Real Smoky from mallard to past 5mile bar. Had a 20 mile day to get below the closure. Jim Moore camp was our stop, but it was on fire. Smoke and haze all the way to carey crk. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When you were. On the Main was it consistently this Smokey? Trying to figure out if we launch on July 31???
I was not on this trip, I was lucky enough to go the week before while things were still clear. I’ll ask my friends to see but looks like there are some others with first hand knowledge. Probably depends on jet stream and winds.

I’m out of McCall, and even with no fires nearby, it’s been real smoky since July 9th. Probably the same for Salmon.

Expect some level of smoke until October, so think about whether to cancel.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Similar up in Kalispell..not consistently bad, but it comes and goes, sky hasn't been really blue in 8-10 days.

·
Renaissance *******
1,382 Posts
It's been pretty nasty on the Clark Fork lately. It'll be nice to get out of it next week for a while.

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
we are currently doing pretty good in Salmon as a high pressure system has been moving right over the top of us forcing the smoke out.. Not sure how long it will last but for my sanity I hope it's for a while. It's good to see the mountains.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When you were. On the Main was it consistently this Smokey? Trying to figure out if we launch on July 31???
We took off at Carey Creek 7/17. Middle of day 3 the smoke became heavy enough to sting the eyes. Camp was on fire as went by and fire fighters directed us to Gaines Bar for a 26 mile day. Only light smoke when we arrived. Then we could see dense plumes rising from back side of canyon ridge pushed up by wind. Then fire on top of ridge. Then fire at moved down toward us as air cooled and sank. Then it petered out still 1500+ feet above camp in area with little vegetation. Smoke that night was strong as it rolled down the ridge and down the river overall. Got up early and found fire fighters near camp running sprinklers to protect a few historic structures. As we left they were starting back fires. That was the worst of smoke. Remaining days were smoky in morning and increasingly clear in afternoons. All in all a good trip at historic low water levels.

July 31 is a ways off so you'll have plenty of time to evaluate. Not sure I'd drive 16 hours knowing in advance how smoky it would be. But once at the put in there was no discussion of bailing out. Never felt in any danger of fire itself. Smoke wasn't bad enough for long enough to be a health hazard.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
SCAT machine in Riggins is down. Sounds like power surges from the lightning storms knocked out the electrical. So hopefully not down for long.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts