Mountain Buzz banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I talked to the ranger earlier today. She said the river is open but you have to stop at the Whitewater Ranch Ranger Station before going to Corn Creek and she said that you have to "float through" the Jim Moore camp site as both banks/camping is closed there. She also said that there's no penalty for cancellations because of the fire.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That's beautiful light. Also nasty.

But fire is also a necessity for a healthy forest ecology. Still, I hope it doesn't char everything down to dust and glass--which isn't all that healthy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just talked to Mackey Bar Guest Ranch about a different trip. They said they haven’t been able to see across the river several mornings. They say smoke is thick.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Is anyone else skeptical of the #4 statement - no penalty for last minute cancellation under the specified window? I've only heard of that once access to the river is closed preventing launch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not skeptical at all. Last minute cancellations, and even transfers, of permits are always allowed for medical reasons. I've been on a trip were that happened. Really poor air quality seems medical to me. I have also personally cancelled a Selway trip 2 days before launch because the water was too high. No penalty.

I'd take the rangers at their word. If you are really worried try to get it in writing (email) from the rangers. I would not give it a second thought.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Today's Dixie Fire update.

I have started the video at 7:25 for Salmon River info.

<iframe src="Facebook" width="560" height="429" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

·
Registered
101 Posts
We are launching on the 19th and the Ranger as of yesterday said the river is still open but there is about 4 or 5 miles that are a no stop zone. MM39 to 42 right now. The incident website is also calling for some wind change and the fire will continue to move both up and down the river corridor in that area. Smoke is really heavy from what I have heard with visibility in the several 100' range in areas. Waiting for todays update for the incident command center. Hard to believe the fire hasn't jumped the river yet in that area. God bless and stay safe to all fighting this fire.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little silly to continue to ask here for smoke and fire conditions instead of calling the ranger, whoever you have your shuttle scheduled with, or inciweb for the respective local river/forest knowledge if you have a launch coming up in the next couple weeks? The boaters with first hand knowledge don't have internet right now because they're there having first hand knowledge. By the time they get to the internet, the weather and fires could have changed. USFS doesn't usually plan fire road and river closures out more than a couple days. Much less more than a week.

If you're worried about air quality, just plan on that piece sucking for at least the next month or so.

I know that having a river trip coming up is exciting and occupies a lot of your mind the weeks prior...it's happening to me right now. If people just want to make chit chat, disregard my comments above.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Me too but what is happening right now will be different on a launch 10 days from now. I get it though...I'm anxious as shit for a 7/24 MFS launch. I've probably looked at my gear pile 20 times in the last few days figuring out how to cut weight even though I've got a number of low water MFS trips in the can. Maybe I was a little harsh.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts