Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
We where on the Main in 2017 also and the ranger that checked us in asked that we not stay at Bargiman camp or the camps right before it because the fire fighters were staying there fighting the fire but told us they couldn't stop us from staying there. When we got there nobody was around and there where tree stumps still burning. The fire had jumped the river there. We ended up camping there and watched the fire burn up the hillside across from us the whole night. It was kinda eerie and the smoke was so thick you could barely see 50 feet up or down the river. Once we got past that area the sky cleared up and was clear as could be.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is a great map for where your smoke is coming from and air quality... salmon and the middle forks smoke the last couple days was actually coming from 600 miles away from the bootleg fire in Southern oregon... looks like wind changed and now it's bad from more local fires like Dixie and all the ones around Lewiston. Fire and Smoke Map I was in salt lake yesterday and it was bad but that is coming from California Nevada border

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anybody else taken off in the last day or two? I'd love to get more info if anyone has personal experience. My group launches July 19th and we are still debating whether to cancel or not. We are following as many of these incident sites and air quality sites as possible, but I'd love to hear more info from people who are taking off the river.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Also fire is over 11k acres now and containment dropped from 30 something to 17%. I imagine next update will be over 15k acres... they have a type 1 management and I'm familiar with the location... thick thick timber not looking good.
If they have a Type 1 team going in, it's serious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any info on how bad the smoke is on the main/lower Salmon? Supposed to launch on the 17th, we are on the fence about cancelling. Corn Creek to Shorts Bar. Trying to assess whether the smoke will be bad for the whole trip or just a couple days. Any experience or info appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Both Salmon and McCalls AQIs are over 150 this morning. Also given the Dixie fire is backing to the river, it’s at about river mile 40 from Corn Cr, expect smoke. They are forecasting more extreme heat this weekend and next week, so plan on it to be plenty smoky.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
There is a new fire up panther creek that is directly west of salmon.. panther creek is the other main drainage that comes in from the left before the middle fork. it is over 5k acres now, between that the dixie fire and the snake river complex down by lewiston you will have bad smoke the whole way.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Where's that Snake River complex...down by Asotin? On the river?

We just got off the Main/Lower/Snake on 6/29. Crazy to realize it's blown up so much in only 2 weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where's that Snake River complex...down by Asotin? On the river?

We just got off the Main/Lower/Snake on 6/29. Crazy to realize it's blown up so much in only 2 weeks.
Pretty much the entire peninsula of the Snake / Lower Salmon confluence to the north. As well as large fires to the west of Asotin.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's about to be bad here as well. My buddy who lives above alberton sent me pictures of all the fires near him and its not looking good. Had my daughters in a kid raft camp on gorge that just got canceled due to smoke and potential fire danger. Bummer

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I talked to the office in Salmon (or Challis?) this morning to get more info (208-879-4100). The lady there was helpful. Here is a summary of what she said; however, since I am not an authority please confirm information for yourself where you feel necessary:

1. She said they will not close the river. To me, it sounds like this is a decision based on them just thinking the river should stay open, rather than that they think things won't get any worse. It is possible that changes if the fire gets to the access roads for the takeout or put-in. But the lady said they will not close the river.
2. check in with the rangers at Corn Creek and they will make sure that we don't get assigned a campsite that is on fire.
3. The fire did jump the river, so there may be fire on both sides as you float down. She said this was around Mackay Bar (mile 56-ish?).
4. said there will be no penalty of any kind and we can get a refund. We should cancel at least 1 day in advance if we do.
5. There will be no rollovers until next year no matter what.
6. The ranger said "it will be fun but smokey. Better than going to work"
7. I asked more about the smoke. She did say that is can get pretty bad, but didn't give any further details worth noting.

My biggest worry is the smoke. If its a bit smokey that's one thing, but if its severe, that will make for a bad trip with potential health consequences, especially for those with asthma and other breathing issues (make sure you don't go into the backcountry with a case of COVID, but especially during fire/smoke season).

·
Registered
12 Posts
From Dixie Fire Update @ 1000 PDT today:

Salmon River “Keep on Floating” Order
Effective today, recreators on the Salmon River are asked to stop at Whitewater Ranch to obtain information about the fire and receive a safety briefing. Between Whitewater Ranch and Jim Moore Campsite, floaters are directed not to stop or camp on either side of the river in order to avoid fire activity and firefighting operations. The Jim Moore Campsite is included in the no-stopping area, please move past it to clear the restricted area.

Dixie Fire Update- July, 13, 2021 - InciWeb the Incident Information System (nwcg.gov)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just a heads up. They are setting up an incident command post for the Mudlick fire here in salmon. That means a whole lot of extra fire fighters and overhead. firefighters are generally tented up but overhead can take up a lot of hotel space depending on team and overhead. So make sure if you are planning on a hotel you have it lined out well ahead of time. i'm not sure how they are accessing the fire. They may be going down the salmon river Rd and going up panther creek or up and over Williams creek summit and down into panther creek.. I have been on fires in the past where one route is takin to get to the fire and one route is to come back to mitigate oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I talked to the office in Salmon (or Challis?) this morning to get more info (208-879-4100). The lady there was helpful. Here is a summary of what she said; however, since I am not an authority please confirm information for yourself where you feel necessary:

1. She said they will not close the river. To me, it sounds like this is a decision based on them just thinking the river should stay open, rather than that they think things won't get any worse. It is possible that changes if the fire gets to the access roads for the takeout or put-in. But the lady said they will not close the river.
2. check in with the rangers at Corn Creek and they will make sure that we don't get assigned a campsite that is on fire.
3. The fire did jump the river, so there may be fire on both sides as you float down. She said this was around Mackay Bar (mile 56-ish?).
4. said there will be no penalty of any kind and we can get a refund. We should cancel at least 1 day in advance if we do.
5. There will be no rollovers until next year no matter what.
6. The ranger said "it will be fun but smokey. Better than going to work"
7. I asked more about the smoke. She did say that is can get pretty bad, but didn't give any further details worth noting.

My biggest worry is the smoke. If its a bit smokey that's one thing, but if its severe, that will make for a bad trip with potential health consequences, especially for those with asthma and other breathing issues (make sure you don't go into the backcountry with a case of COVID, but especially during fire/smoke season).
I want to make one revision to my statement above. I am not sure about where the fire jumped the river. The lady on the phone said by Mackay Bar, so I even asked her if she was sure and she said yes. But it still doesn't sound right or align with the fire maps, so I don't think that is correct. I just wanted to amend that because I am really uncertain about that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I want to make one revision to my statement above. I am not sure about where the fire jumped the river. The lady on the phone said by Mackay Bar, so I even asked her if she was sure and she said yes. But it still doesn't sound right or align with the fire maps, so I don't think that is correct. I just wanted to amend that because I am really uncertain about that.
The IR flight done at midnight last night showed it still on the north side of the river. If it does jump to the south side, the uphill run will be impressive with lots of additional smoke. Mackey Bar seams to be a ways downstream from the fire.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I wonder if the meant at Campbells ferry. all around Campbells ferry was on fire in I believe 2015, we camped at groundhog and watched the fire racing up the opposite side of the river.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts