Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Idaho Dept. of Environmental Quality is another good source of fire/smoke information. Their Facebook page has a good map showing where the smoke is coming from and where it's going. From today's report:

Here is your July 8 #smoke forecast.
Several new #fires in the Lewiston area are adding to the existing smoke impacts in central Idaho today. Smoke continues to move into Idaho from fires in Oregon and California. Local fires, like the Dixie Fire, look to be filling the mountain valleys of the Salmon River drainage with smoke. North of #Lewiston should be most free of smoke through Friday.
South Idaho will see increasing smoke throughout the day and into tomorrow morning, though an overnight cold front will help clear the smoke from some of the larger valleys, including the Treasure Valley. Most areas will continue to see light to moderate impacts Friday morning.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would talk to the river rangers. that map shows the river as open on that stretch . is there anything saying camps on that side of the river are in fact closed. anyone with a permit received a notice.. nothing on rec.gov or salmon challis NF site for floating the main salmon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would talk to the river rangers. that map shows the river as open on that stretch . is there anything saying camps on that side of the river are in fact closed. anyone with a permit received a notice.. nothing on rec.gov or salmon challis NF site for floating the main salmon.
Yes, left bank maybe open, but does say to " centerline of Salmon River" for right bank. Just came out, so the government wheels may take a bit to process,... have not called rangers yet.

Area Defined within: Commencing at the junction of FS Road 222(also known as the point of beginning) and proceeding S approximately 0.4 miles to the junction with FS Road 468. Then proceeding E 13.6 miles on FS Road 468 until the junction with FS Trail 580. Then proceeding S on FS Trail 580 4.3 miles to the junction with FS Trail 503 at Boston Mountain. Then proceeding S on FS Trail 503 12.5 miles to the junction with FS Trail 96-1. Then proceeding 607 feet bearing S48°5’54.1” to the intersection with the centerline of the Salmon River. Then proceeding SW along the Salmon River to Mackay Bar. Then proceeding NW along the Salmon River to the junction with Sheep Creek and FS Trail 201. Then proceeding N and then E 12.2 miles along FS Trail 201 to the junction with FS Road 233. Then proceeding NW approximately 16 miles along FS Road 233 to the junction with FS Road 311. Then proceeding 9.86 miles bearing N83°37’8.64” to the point of beginning.

The area contained within this closure order contains 258,888 acres more or less

The closed area is shown on the attached map and is closed to all uses.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Even if it's safe it'll be brutal if the smokes thick. I was in the rogue and it was really rrally smokey and it messed people up with allergies and their eyes. Iam not as sensitive and it was still pretty bad. I hope for everyone's sake they somehow contain it. I noticed today our western sky was disappearing into summer smoke haze.fingers crossed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a July 14 launch date. The Corn Creek rangers sent the camp assignment email at about 930 last night and said that all camps (both sides of the river) are open. Not sure how that works with the Forest Service closure of the river right side but that's what they said. I emailed back asking if they had heard anything about air quality in the canyon and this was their entire response - "poor and decreasing". I've been around enough fires to know that even if the river is considered otherwise "safe" nobody needs to breathe that for 6 days. I realize our problems as river runners are insignificant compared to the residents and firefighters in the area. Still, I hope the FS will consider this an extenuating circumstance and waive the 3 year penalty, because unless things change significantly we'll end up being a late cancellation.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Large portion of the Main's right bank is now closed from Yellow Pine RM 36 to Sheep Creek RM 74 for the Dixie Fire.

Yes, left bank maybe open, but does say to " centerline of Salmon River" for right bank. Just came out, so the government wheels may take a bit to process,... have not called rangers yet.

Area Defined within: Commencing at the junction of FS Road 222(also known as the point of beginning) and proceeding S approximately 0.4 miles to the junction with FS Road 468. Then proceeding E 13.6 miles on FS Road 468 until the junction with FS Trail 580. Then proceeding S on FS Trail 580 4.3 miles to the junction with FS Trail 503 at Boston Mountain. Then proceeding S on FS Trail 503 12.5 miles to the junction with FS Trail 96-1. Then proceeding 607 feet bearing S48°5’54.1” to the intersection with the centerline of the Salmon River. Then proceeding SW along the Salmon River to Mackay Bar. Then proceeding NW along the Salmon River to the junction with Sheep Creek and FS Trail 201. Then proceeding N and then E 12.2 miles along FS Trail 201 to the junction with FS Road 233. Then proceeding NW approximately 16 miles along FS Road 233 to the junction with FS Road 311. Then proceeding 9.86 miles bearing N83°37’8.64” to the point of beginning.

The area contained within this closure order contains 258,888 acres more or less

The closed area is shown on the attached map and is closed to all uses.
Map also says "Open: Salmon River".
My interpretation would be that if you planned to hike/backpack the Salmon River trail, you're SOL. If you're boating, you should be GTG.
As others have noted, check in with the Salmon river rangers; if you have a permit, check in with the Corn Creek staff (you have their email).
The FS will be too busy with the fire to write citations, I would say if the river rangers say OK, don't try too hard to find someone else to tell you "no". And if the river rangers say "no", that's it.

And also agree that that much smoke is not good for your lungs, even if you are healthy. Especially when you hit a few good rapids and your heart rate and respiratory rate go up and you're really sucking it in. I too would hope the FS would waive the late cancellation penalty due to fires...they did for the 'rona.

But pretty skies/photo opps!! haha

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would not expect any improvement or containment.. on the sit report they say expected containment 9/30/21 so pretty much going to burn until the weather changes..

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also fire is over 11k acres now and containment dropped from 30 something to 17%. I imagine next update will be over 15k acres... they have a type 1 management and I'm familiar with the location... thick thick timber not looking good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We are launching the 19th also. Have to wait and see what happens between now and then. Let's hope for all crews working this fire they stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just got off today and was camped at Upper Yellowpine on the 5th. We watched the column grow above us and had decent ash fall that evening. Stayed next night at Teepee. Amazingly large column. Anyone going should expect heavy smoke. Stayed clear until today.
C8626554-2C00-47CB-BE73-6A6B4399BA0C.jpeg
16CE82EF-B349-46D0-A34C-283FF10BA344.jpeg

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Reminds me of my trip in 2017...

We all wore hankerchiefs over our faces and everything smelled like BBQ (including my truck) after the trip. Definitely saw firefighters and some fire next to the river but nothing stopping us from going down the river. I did a trip earlier that year and the section from Black Creek down about 8-10 miles had a bunch of trees on fire right next to the river too.

I just took off the MFS as well and it was noticeable in the air in the straight sections where you could see a ways from the 4th and 5th or so and we really noticed it on the 6th and 7th to a degree where you could smell it in the air. Not bad...but noticeable.

It being Idaho... I think will have to be really serious to shut down the rivers. Whether you wanna go or not is up to you. That 2017 trip was the worst smoke I've encountered...but it wasn't so bad it ruined the trip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
In my experience the only way the FS will waive the 3 year penalty for late cancellation is when the road becomes closed due to fire and you're unable to launch. If the road is open it doesn't matter how low the water is or how bad the smoke and fires are, you'll still get nailed if you cancel late.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts