Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a commercial guide on the poudre and couldnt deal with the thought of no whitewater until may so i decided to chase it south! my goal is to find some work as a guide in turrialba, ideally on the paquare, but if i end up just paddling a lot and improving my spanish i think i will survive. Any suggestions on longer term places to stay, outfitters to talk to, what to bring in terms of paddle gear, what i can get over there? any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
157 Posts
work was once easier to get, once upon a time 15 years ago, now the rafting in turrialba is filled with the children who were exposed to rafting back then. If you are going to work, I suggest bringing a laptop that can burn cd's if you are a competent photo kayaker with a camera, sell photos at end of pacuare trip, ( if working for a smaller company, i.e. NOT rios tropicales) In other words being a competent kayaker can get you more work, as a safety boater, photo boater, and you can scout/learn runs before you guide them. Talk to Kirk owner of green frog adventures in Turri. He is an old poudre guide who has a company in Turri. Don't plan on making money in your first year. Do plan on going to bocas del toro or boquete , both in panama if you plan on overstaying your visa. Do go to adrenalina rafting and ask for Leo to build you a custom helmet with paint job in turri for approx. $70. DONT pet the dogs and cats you see homeless ANYWHERE in CR. DO Message me with more questions as I can set you up with a place to stay and very good people to know. DONT do too much snort, as it is cheap and very good.....
Its fun and humbling. PURA VIDA!
I spent 3 winter down there, previously a arkansas guide/kayaker in CO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not ideally what i was hoping to hear, but i like to work hard so i can hope i will find something!!! im not a kayaker in any was, i was trying to learn this summer but had a little mishap that didn't make that easy. i would love to learn though!!!!! as long as i can break even i am more then satisfied, i just want to have fun and gain the experience. Kirk at green frog, good to know, i will definitely talk to him! I assume you are talking about the 90 day tourist visa or did you have something more? i would really appreciate any help you could give, i have a contact working at adrenalina through a friend of mine but would love some more affordable living options, as well as great people to know, that would help immensely!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts