Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to a John Prine concert in Aspen. I would like to get on the water while I am there. I am a solid Class IV+/V- boater, big water, and North Fork of the Payette style boating is where I am most at home. I would not say I am a Class V creeker. I would like to get on something Class IV to IV+ to gauge what boating is like in Colorado, and go from there. I have never boated in Colorado, and don't mind easing into a different boating style. With that said I am about to leave Banks, Idaho from a one month pilgrimage to the North Fork of the Payette that I boated practically every day for the past month. I am a safety nazi, and always have ropes, pin kit, first aid kit, I am also swift water, and CPR certified. On a side note I recently boat a Liquid Logic Flying Squirrel 95, and it does not pair with the type of boating I do very well so I am sticking with the Remix 79. If some one is interested in it I will toss it in the truck. I have literally half a lap on it. It is Brand New. Asking a $1,000 it is marble blue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
FYI. The aspen area has a significant Jewish contingency. Nazis may not b welcomed w open arms

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It would prob help folks to know when you are in town. Slaughterhouse run on the roaring fork is the local class IV run. Its a good one. Its still running right now, but is on the decline. Might have a few more weeks of good flows?

You can access the arkansas river from aspen by driving over the pass. A bit further away, but the ark will definitely be running til mid august. Pine creek into numbers (IV) would be a good fit.

If the roaring fork is too low and you want to get wet you can always run shoshone (III) in glenwood.

Gore is further away but its a classic. Its high right now, but may drop in to more moderate levels depending on when you come.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I thought I posted I am heading out tomorrow can boat Saturday, and Sunday, maybe monday. Just watched this video. Now videos never do a river justice, and I usually x15 on videos, but it looks manageable I wonder what another 620cfs does to that run. I usually like to run something at a normal flow before running it higher, but with good beta, and a good crew that knows it at that flow I may be down to checking it out. It has been on my list for a while, and that style of whitewater is what I live for. Anyone got beta? What are the holes like. Are they reasonably avoidable? What are the geology hazards? Sieves? Undercuts? What is the scouting/ portaging potential for the major rapids? Gore is high on my list, and higher water gore is even higher on my list, but I have a huge respect for river running, and am not a checklist boater. If it is one of those runs that gets nasty at this level I would rather opt out. If it is a run that you are practicing hole avoidance, and punching holes with nothing to terminal I would be down to checking it out. From the video(and editing could play a part in this) the rapids do not look as long as the rapids on the NF, and looks like there may be a little extra recovery than I am used to. I am not a high water North Forker. I have ran most of it around 2500 cfs, and everything, but Jakes at 1800. Current flow is 1800. With that said I am comfortable in bigger water just haven't caught that one big yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts