Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Discussion Starter #1
What is anyone using for HD video these days? Waterproof of course. I did a buzz search and didn't find much except the usual digitals with video capabilities. Maybe that's the best way to go, but I'm really leaning toward a camera that is video first and stills second.

I was looking at some of the Sanyo stuff, but the reviews were less the stellar.

·
Renaissance *******
1,347 Posts
Personally I think HD is way over rated (so is high megapix)
1. what are you really going to output it to? will the presentation format be worthy of HD and therefore be worth the extra $. 72dpi screen resolution is not worth the memory or money for HD.
B. the quality of lens glass is also a huge factor in image quality. but the manufactures dont mention that. Sort of like playing a CD through paper cone factory speakers.

On the other hand if quality is a concern look for 3 chip and quality glass before you look at a consumer model HDV

·
Registered
420 Posts
What is anyone using for HD video these days? Waterproof of course. I did a buzz search and didn't find much except the usual digitals with video capabilities. Maybe that's the best way to go, but I'm really leaning toward a camera that is video first and stills second.

I was looking at some of the Sanyo stuff, but the reviews were less the stellar.

Here's the one that a buddy of mine uses, great HD quality too. You'll have to buy the waterproof housing for it though, the waterproof case is bomber and it does not obstruct the functionality. IMO, it has Much better resolution than those pentax's and optio's.

Flip Video Camcorder:
Flip Video U2120 Black HD Series Camcorder - U2120B

Also, here's another page with a bunch of other waterproof camcorders, kinda big and bulky to take on the river though unless you store it in your boat, and eddy out to shoot video.
waterproof camcorder - Google Product Search

Here's video of us on Fossil Creek, shot with the HD Flip Camcorder. There is some footage in there shot with the NON-HD Flip cam too, which you can definately tell the 2 apart.
Fossil Creek, Arizona on Vimeo

·
Registered
520 Posts
Love my sanyo

I'm really liking my Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD waterproof camcorder. The small size is nice, I can fit it in my PFD front pocket. The quality is great for the price. This clip I did was all shot on the Sanyo
4 days & 4 nights, A kayaking self support, 65 miles-class 2-5 on Vimeo
and the price is awesome. So far I am pretty impressed. Atom...
Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD Waterproof Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 30x Optical Zoom (Yellow): Camera & Photo

·
Registered
364 Posts
Flip HD

Hey what's up!! Airborne is my friend that replied earlier, and I'm the person using the HD Flip. I love it!! I'll post some of the new HD clips right off the camera It looks amazing!! The "Fossil Creek" video I made is compiled with HD and other low quality SD files. So the finished product definitely looks different from original clips (not as clean). But the clips before I rendered the video for the internet were amazing!!! Rendering quality issues/settings were my fault (user error)!! :-(.

The Sanyo video that "Atom" made looks awesome, but my friend has the same camera and we both feel the Flip was a little better quality for water and snow shots with alot of direct sunlight. "IT'S ALL PERSONAL PREFFERENCE"!! Flip sucks at "Night"(no light on camera), and no built in stabilization for the shaky videographer!!!

Get the waterproof HD POV helmet cam"AND" a waterproof HD point and shoot video camera for "FULL perspective". Just a POV or go pro helmet cam SUCKS!! That's what I've concluded from my past experience.

I could go on and on about HD also. Someone already started to dabble into it, but the HD world is a very different place when working with "TRUE" 1080p/1080i. We're talking "1 gig a minute". When working with clips editing. So it all depends on how hard core you want to get with your videography. Good Luck and have fun with your new toy!! Looking forward to seeing some footage!! (Sorry for the long book!!)

Cheers!!

-Nick

·
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't researched it a lot yet, but does anybody use a Flip camera. Seems like the down side is 120 minutes and no way to use an additional memory card. Plus, you need to use a waterproof case.
Uses AA batteries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm really liking my Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD waterproof camcorder. The small size is nice, I can fit it in my PFD front pocket. The quality is great for the price. This clip I did was all shot on the Sanyo
4 days & 4 nights, A kayaking self support, 65 miles-class 2-5 on Vimeo
and the price is awesome. So far I am pretty impressed. Atom...
Amazon.com: Sanyo VPC-WH1 HD Waterproof Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 30x Optical Zoom (Yellow): Camera & Photo

I agree I love my Sanyo and the quality is untouchable

·
Registered
364 Posts
I haven't researched it a lot yet, but does anybody use a Flip camera. Seems like the down side is 120 minutes and no way to use an additional memory card. Plus, you need to use a waterproof case.
Uses AA batteries.
(!!!See post above!!!) :rolleyes: Look up!!!!

Flip Camera is the SHZNIT!! Fits in front pocket of PFD with waterproof case on!! 2hrs of "CLEAN HD" I always pack spare batteries. I LOVE it!! Everyone has their own opinion though!!

I've used Flip since their very first model. It jsut keeps getting better!! It's a very cheap point-and-shoot HD solution!! I feel it is the best compact, point-and-shoot digital HD camcorder to date (but that's just my opinion)!! Not professional grade though, if that is what you are looking for. Perfect for Vimeo or Youtube (internet or personal fun use).

Cheers!!

-Nick

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I wish I had all this information two years ago when I purchased my big, bulky, and not water proof, video camcorder, that I never take anywhere because it is a pain in the ass. That Flip Camera looks like the ticket.

·
Discussion Starter #12
(!!!See post above!!!) :rolleyes: Look up!!!!

Nick, I should have said, "Does anybody else use a Flip Cam"

Thanks for the input you have given out. This is for my son and I think the Flip might be the one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nick - you mentioned using a waterproof case that fits in your vest. Can I ask what you use? I'd be interested in something that small that could fit in a vest.

I got burned last summer with a micro pelican I thought was waterproof but indeed they are not (just the regular pelicans are).

---------------

I'll chime in too (as i'm a prof video editor). I have not yet used the Go Pro HD helmet cam, but from what I've seen from them I'd buy one in a heartbeat over anything else. How often do you really want to get out of your boat to shoot something and get back in?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nick - you mentioned using a waterproof case that fits in your vest. Can I ask what you use? I'd be interested in something that small that could fit in a vest.

I got burned last summer with a micro pelican I thought was waterproof but indeed they are not (just the regular pelicans are).

---------------

I'll chime in too (as i'm a prof video editor). I have not yet used the Go Pro HD helmet cam, but from what I've seen from them I'd buy one in a heartbeat over anything else. How often do you really want to get out of your boat to shoot something and get back in?
I use the Flip waterproof case. It's made specifically for the Flip HD. It's pretty sweet!! Here's the link: I swam the entire Westwater Canyon last year, and the camera stayed dry!! My scuba friend gave me some advise to use "vaseline" on the rubber gasket to help preserve the gasket and help provide an extra seal from H20. BOMBER!!!

On my last Fossil Creek adventure, it survived the 20' waterfall plunge in side my PFD, along with holding it underwater for awhile panning the underwater scene!! I jumped the Royal Gorge and Westwater "Cliff Jump" (35' jump) with it in my PFD and stayed DRY both times!! I LOVE IT!!! Check it out here!!
Amazon.com: Flip Video AWC2T Underwater Case for UltraHD and Ultra 2nd Generation camcorders (Clear): Camera & Photo

Cheers!

-Nick

·
Registered
364 Posts
---------------

I don't mind getting out of my boat for a good shot!!! Helmet cams loose so much perspective and depth. How many movies do you see in just helmet cam view???? NONE!!! That's my point. I love the helmet cam and plan on buying one as well, but you have to have a point and shoot to capture the actual scene. Unless your a prof videographer, then you carry a camera that costs 50K large (my friend shoots for the media internationally and does prof. edit)!!! Don't get me wrong, the view of the paddler is very valuable as well. I like to see the entire drop from all angles. That's my opinion, that's all!

Cheers!!

-Nick

·
Registered
238 Posts
No doubt if you are making a film you should have something beyond a helmet cam. I'm just sayin from my pov if I'm kayaking I don't want to be 'working' (getting out of boat, setting up shots etc...). I want to kayak, which makes a helmet cam an attractive option to remember areas I've paddled for things like youtube videos and such - (almost no 'work' invloved).

Outside of action sports however - a helmet cam is pretty useless.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
No doubt if you are making a film you should have something beyond a helmet cam. I'm just sayin from my pov if I'm kayaking I don't want to be 'working' (getting out of boat, setting up shots etc...). I want to kayak, which makes a helmet cam an attractive option to remember areas I've paddled for things like youtube videos and such - (almost no 'work' invloved).

Outside of action sports however - a helmet cam is pretty useless.
I hear what you're saying. Sometimes it can feel like you're stopping the fun to set up for some video. But also agree that while helmet cam footage can be cool, it's a sorry replacement for 3rd person point of view shots.

There a few factors that can alleviate the "stopping the fun blues". One is that many of the best drops require scouting and setting up safety for anyway. Just grab the camera and bring it with you on the scout and use it as an excuse to have your buddies probe the drop for you. It depends on the nature of the drop and safety locations, but often it's reasonable to run safety and video at the same time. If you roll with a few weak links in your crew that you always count on to portage the big drops, then video can be as simple as pulling your skirt and saying "hey, mind taking some video?"

So there are a number of circumstances where stopping the action and taking video isn't really much more trouble than what you would normally do anyway. Sometimes it is and sometimes you even have to hold up the crew to get the video you want. Certain people who are nervous about running something don't take well to saying "hold on a minute before you go". But, I've found if you overcome the inertia, it can be a lot in itself stomping around the bank looking for a cool angle, or coming up with some idea for what you want. Also the reward of having the footage afterward usually easily makes up for the trouble at the time. I've rarely said, "man, I wish I hadn't wasted timing getting video here", but I've often said the reverse.

Sorry, a little off topic, but I think a lot of the aversion is mental. That's also not to say that being able to take footage in the boat isn't an awesome tool and you can definitely get stuff that you never would have stopped for otherwise, but I sure hope the day doesn't come where the only kayaking videos out there are shaky headcam shots.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So I have been checking out the Flips myself. It seems the Ultra HD is the way to go for the battery life issue and being able to have spare AA batteries rather then just a flat rechargeable. That and the availability of a waterproof case is a plus. Has any one used one skiing? I am wondering how it would be in moving video, like if I ski with my son, will the video be jumping all over the place?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts