Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Divers Alert Network evacuation insurance or know of it being used.

On a future GC trip and joined up just for that trip and wondered if there was feedback on the DAN Insurance.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You going diving in the big ditch?

·
Banned
678 Posts
Never used it myself but read a lot about those who have. I used to do a lot of technical diving in the great lakes and wouldn't dive without it. Chamber rides are too damn expensive. I've only heard great things from those that have used it. Not sure how it would work for a rafting trip, might want to give them a call.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts

·
Banned
678 Posts
I've used this: https://secure.snfc.org/diversforms/. Get 'C' and 'D' and it is only $25.

ever looked into the cost of a chamber ride that your health insurance (especially out of country) won't cover? Might surprise you... If GC stands for grand cayman and not grand canyon you might want that coverage for multiple days of repetitive diving... especially if you're skills aren't up and you "bounce" a lot.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I'm confused.

My response was directed at domestic travel (Grand Canyon, AZ) that is non-SCUBA in nature. This is general watersports coverage 'D' and evac coverage 'C'. Obviously, if you are diving you want something that covers decompression (A) and snorkeling/diving (B).

·
Banned
678 Posts
I'm confused.

My response was directed at domestic travel (Grand Canyon, AZ) that is non-SCUBA in nature. This is general watersports coverage 'D' and evac coverage 'C'. Obviously, if you are diving you want something that covers decompression (A) and snorkeling/diving (B).

apparently I'm more confused then you... ;)

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Lots of people get supplimental dive insurance for river trips because it covers various watersports in addition to SCUBA (rafting/kayaking) and includes evac, something that general health insurance does not cover.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Theres room for DAN in my boat!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys, my post was not as clear as it should have been

actually kayaking on a private permit in Grand Canyon.

I am interested in coverage for non diving trips. Which I saw from the DAN network web site is covered as well as diving.

I understand if a accident does occur where you need to be flown out of the Grand Canyon, the NPS gets you to the top of the canyon then you are responsible for the rest.

I understand from the SNFC web site their non diving coverage only works if you have a accident on the river anything that happens on shore is not covered.

For example, I don't plan on tripping on a rock and breaking a leg just thought it would be worth the small fee DAN costs to join their deal in case something did happen.

Used to do a lot of snorkeling in the Florida Keys when I lived down south, never done any real diving with an air tank.

·
Super Moderator
3,965 Posts
For example, I don't plan on tripping on a rock and breaking a leg just thought it would be worth the small fee DAN costs to join their deal in case something did happen.
Bear in mind that most rafting accidents happen on shore. You may want to check other travelers insurance to make sure that you do happen to trip on a rock and break a leg you're covered. Check out the GCPBA (they're on the MB Partners' directory). I've seen lots of discussions on their email list about supplemental insurance for river trips.

Have a good trip!

-AH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts