Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
It will come back up when it warms up. There is a decent amount of snow left in the upper c basin, and much of the drainage got more snow this week.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I love the annual "Have we peaked?" thread. The runoff is just starting! Although down there in the south you guys are a bit short on snowpack. Don't worry, we haven't peaked in Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Drove over a few passes this weekend. Lot's of snow up high still..... like on the order of 3ft+ on Fremont Pass and was dumping snow. I think we will still see a higher peak everywhere except the San Juan and Rio Grande basins.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Ahh, very good, then. Up here everything's 'bout gone & they're not releasing from Flaming Gorge so filling still. Good cause was wondering about the Ark as well. Okiedokie!

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry to be a debbie downer, but i believe most of the major drainages have peaked in colorado. i would be shocked if the yampa or colorado get higher than they were last week. And all season long i've heard the Ark is not doing so well, but i haven't looked into that one. a bad year following a historically bad year doesn't give me much confidence in an extended run off this season.

·
Registered
774 Posts
sorry to be a debbie downer, but i believe most of the major drainages have peaked in colorado. i would be shocked if the yampa or colorado get higher than they were last week. And all season long i've heard the Ark is not doing so well, but i haven't looked into that one. a bad year following a historically bad year doesn't give me much confidence in an extended run off this season.
Did you spend the month of April under a rock? Most drainages got hammered in April bringing the snowpack to near normal. All that late snow will mean decent peaks, but I don't think it will sustain for a long season unless the weather stays cool. Historically, most drainages peak early June, we're on schedule for that to be true this year.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Did you spend the month of April under a rock? Most drainages got hammered in April bringing the snowpack to near normal. All that late snow will mean decent peaks, but I don't think it will sustain for a long season unless the weather stays cool. Historically, most drainages peak early June, we're on schedule for that to be true this year.
I agree Nathan, and in fact I was predicting a late May peak, but with light snow and cold temperatures for a week now I think we will be looking at first to second weekend in June for peak on the Ark.

My references to Fremont Pass bode well for the Colorado too. The headwaters of Tenmile Creek, East Fork Eagle and the Blue are all right there. Looked like fantastic coverage for backcountry skiing. Looked to me like the water that has come down at this point was from below 11,000' and south facing slopes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
U are correct, there is no more snow, no more water. Just pack it up for this year. Sell your boat, buy some skis and get ready for ski season

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
In fact, here is a photo from Cottonwood Pass (for Ark Basin reference) taken yesterday:

picture courtesy of Buffalo Joe's Whitewater Rafting in BV...... lot's of snow left to come down....

·
Registered
807 Posts
you could literally find this exact same thread for 9 of the last 10 years. Its right next to the one asking about Escalante in mid-March.

Nice shot Logan. Cottonwood looks like a good destination for some spring skiing laps right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
you could literally find this exact same thread for 9 of the last 10 years. Its right next to the one asking about Escalante in mid-March.

Nice shot Logan. Cottonwood looks like a good destination for some spring skiing laps right now.
Haha and don't forget the one about the best cooler to take down the grand... Thank you rafters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i stand by what i said but only time will tell. I will happily admit my mistake if the colorado or the yampa goes beyond last weeks peaks....however, i'm pretty confident they won't. A snowpack isn't made in a month. I also never said anything about the season being done and over with, only that indeed i believe the major drainages have peaked as asked in the orginal post. For those of you interested in reading a bit into the water projections for lake powell (fed by the Colorado mind you), you should read this: (projects as of May 11th btw).

Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Lake Powell

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i stand by what i said but only time will tell. I will happily admit my mistake if the colorado or the yampa goes beyond last weeks peaks....however, i'm pretty confident they won't. A snowpack isn't made in a month. I also never said anything about the season being done and over with, only that indeed i believe the major drainages have peaked as asked in the orginal post. For those of you interested in reading a bit into the water projections for lake powell (fed by the Colorado mind you), you should read this: (projects as of May 11th btw).

Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Lake Powell
A snowpack is generally not made in a month, but in this case our record late spring snowfall does account for bringing our snowpack back up to normal in many areas of the state. That's not some wild guess. There are snow sites all across the state that qualitatively measure our snowpack and estimate snow water equivalent.

Lake Powell is a long way downstream with many water projects upstream. Therefore its predicted inflows are not an especialliy good predictor of what common stretches of the Colorado River in the state of Colorado are going to do, which I presume is what the original question was about based on the poster's location. Normally runoff for most of Colorado doesn't start in earnest until June. A warm stretch of weather got some things coming up a little early this year, but that's just the first bump. I will be amazed if the Colorado has already reached its peak.

·
Registered
846 Posts
^^^ not a chance. The Animas/San Juan drainage hasn't even peaked. It will peak Memorial Day or so. Colorado and Yampa have lots to give still.

·
Registered
68 Posts
like i said time will tell.....at the moment the peak for the colorado at stateline has been 13,100 and the yampa just short of 10,000k i believe. I will happily admit if i am wrong, hope you are all will to do the same if i am right. While we are at it, do you guys have any guesses to what you think the peak will be this year at those guages (just curious).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts