Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know atleast one or two people on here have said they have one. I got a Noah's tarp for Christmas I'm thinking about trading it for a Batwing. I really like how they are laid out more as a rectangle than a diamond is imagine that gives a more useable space, and have a silver reflective coating on one side. Does anyone have any experience with using one in rain/ wind/ etc?

Here's a link
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collections/all/products/batwing-group-lightweight-tarp

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
I can tell you the Noah's tarp is fine for shade on a calm day, but add a little breeze and you might as well take it down.. 6 of us fought with one at Rattlesnake camp last year, spent 3 hours trying to get it set up to where it would stay, ended up tearing the grommets out of it, and 12 inch long stakes came shooting up out of the ground like rockets. A wing is a much better choice in my estimation, never had those problems with a wing.

Luxe, don't have any experience with their wings, but if they are built anything like their sleeping pads and pillows, BUY IT !! I initially bought a Luxe pad and pillow for motorcycle touring, and ended up buying a double pad, and another pillow for my wife, in the tent they are much more comfortable than a Paco Pad, inflate and deflate in a jiffy. Not for use on a boat as a pad though, as the material is pretty thin, but tough for what it is.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can tell you the Noah's tarp is fine for shade on a calm day, but add a little breeze and you might as well take it down.. 6 of us fought with one at Rattlesnake camp last year, spent 3 hours trying to get it set up to where it would stay, ended up tearing the grommets out of it, and 12 inch long stakes came shooting up out of the ground like rockets. A wing is a much better choice in my estimation, never had those problems with a wing.
I second this, I have a Noah's tarp and it sucks in the wind, I have had similar problems with the Noah's tarp projectile stakes are not fun to have to dodge.

Very interested in any real experience with this wing. For this price I will replace the Noah' tarp in a hart beat!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
sell or give your Noah's tarp to a boater you do not like;-);-);-);-)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Super interested in this, have always been the old school tarp guy, but wanting to upgrade and as JSpoon said at this price I would buy one for sure if they are solid.

·
Never enough free time
350 Posts
Bigger than an MSR Rendevous and $200 cheaper (but it doesn't come with its own poles)

At that price it looks like a steal and it cannot possibly be worse than a Noah. I experienced a total blow out failure of a Noah about 5 minutes after I got it secured enough to stop ripping out stakes. I wonder if the material is ripstop or just regular 68D poly?

I think I would have bought one of these if they were around (or I knew about it) when I got my MSR two years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
If you're looking at poles, these adjustable ones work rather well, have had good luck with them and they don't break the bank either.

Seems a lot of folk including me have had issues with Noah's Tarps.. I WISH MSR hadn't bought Moss and Bibler, if you can find an original Moss wing, buy it, Moss built them to last, unlike the MSR, but on the upside, while MSR cheapened them up, they raised the price !! My friend has a Moss that I've been trying to buy from him for years, he won't sell.....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're looking at poles, these adjustable ones work rather well, have had good luck with them and they don't break the bank either.

Seems a lot of folk including me have had issues with Noah's Tarps.. I WISH MSR hadn't bought Moss and Bibler, if you can find an original Moss wing, buy it, Moss built them to last, unlike the MSR, but on the upside, while MSR cheapened them up, they raised the price !! My friend has a Moss that I've been trying to buy from him for years, he won't sell.....

You forgot a link.

Is a wing like this typically set-up with the low ends up and down stream so winds will push them down instead of into orbit?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
You forgot a link.

Is a wing like this typically set-up with the low ends up and down stream so winds will push them down instead of into orbit?

Ok, am a dumbass..

https://amzn.to/2sgBnY2

I generally have in the past set them up longway into the wind, so the wind blows down the length of them, you can drop one end and it shelters you from most of the breeze. If you set them up sideways, they really can't handle it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link Mr. Nichols. My plan was to hang the tarp off my oars to help keep the amount of crap I carry halfway under control.

If these things are built as well as as it sounds like their tents are I think these could become standard rafting gear along with a roll a table and others.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones who got both sizes Moss originals. This was decades ago.

Believe it or not, I took care of them and they still work great.

Moss Tarps are designed to handle the wind up and over. Many have attempted to copy Moss few have done it right. Quality of material and sewing is key. My experience has been if I keep the tarp set up with low side into the wind close to the ground and a tight pitch, they work great.

Stakes tho and ropes have to be strong - I learned parachute cord is only for light wind. I use real sand stakes on sand bars and iron long stakes for regular ground.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Thanks for the link Mr. Nichols. My plan was to hang the tarp off my oars to help keep the amount of crap I carry halfway under control.

If these things are built as well as as it sounds like their tents are I think these could become standard rafting gear along with a roll a table and others.

Most welcome. Oars are a great substitute, but here's a little tip. Have your local seamperson sew a couple loops of webbing in the ends at the peak, that fit over your oar handles but not the shafts. Most tarps were designed for poles, with brass grommets, hard to keep an oar in the correct spot without the loops.

I do wish someone would buy one of these and give a report...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Most welcome. Oars are a great substitute, but here's a little tip. Have your local seamperson sew a couple loops of webbing in the ends at the peak, that fit over your oar handles but not the shafts. Most tarps were designed for poles, with brass grommets, hard to keep an oar in the correct spot without the loops.

I was thinking of tieing knots in the guy lines to go around the oar handles, I like your idea of sewing loops it sound easier to setup and more elegant.
I have put wheels into motion to exchange my Noah's tarp for a bat wing.

For those of you who have used tarps similar in size to this are the 12" aluminum surplus sand stakes sufficient to hold up the ends of the structure? I'd imagine they are plenty for the rest of the guy lines.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I ordered a batwing and it is in transit to Oklahoma.

I am looking for a very light weight tarp to set up for canoe floats. I like the look of the unit on the web page.

Soon as the tarp arrives I will report back.

They have some neat looking hot tents on the web pages as well.

dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
luxe tarp

I don’t own a Luxe tarp, so I can’t really offer an opinion on them, they look decent, and may be great tarps. I would like to point out a couple of issues. First, the website says they are not seam sealed. That means you have to buy a tube of seam sealer and do it yourself. Personally, I prefer to have my tarps sealed by the factory. Second, you have to pay the shipping, which increases the cost. Third, you don’t get any poles. I use oars on my tarp when I boat, but for regular camping I use poles. That will set you back 30-40 dollars, depending on what you get. If you get a tarp, you will be surprised how often you use it off the river. Lastly, it doesn’t have much in the way of guy lines and stakes, which will cost you more.

Over on the REI outlet, there is a Big Agnes Deep Creek tarp for sale for $174. When you factor in all the items I just mentioned, that is about the same as the Luxe tarp. I have seen the Big Agnes, and it seems like a decent tarp. I don’t know how strong the fabric is. If this makes a difference to you, there is also a bug house that can be paired with it. This is just an example. If you shop around, you will find most tarps on sale from time to time. There isn’t any rush to buy a tarp in January. Unfortunately, the lowest prices are usually in November and December. Last month you could have got a Nemo shadowcaster tarp for $147. They have a really stout ripstop fabric, but sort of a funky shape.

A couple of other tarp items. I agree that in severe wind with soft soil, you need about 4-6 sand stakes to hold your tarp, if you can’t find large logs or stones. It is relatively easy to buy aluminum angle and cut and drill it to make big stakes that nest and don’t take too much room. Just pound them in with a cheap plastic hammer. For regular soil I prefer the army surplus stakes that were for the army camoflage nets. They are 12 inches long, light, and don’t corrode. You can get them on Ebay for about a dollar a piece if you order a decent quantity. There is also an army stake bag, which you can find for a couple of dollars that keeps your dirty stakes from making a mess.

If you want to use your oars as poles on a tarp with just grommet holes get a 3 foot length of cord that will pass through the grommet hole, (usually a ¼ inch) tie a girth hitch around the oar handle, then pass one end of the cord through the grommet hole and tie it off to the other end. I keep several of these cords in the bag with my tarp.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you plan on using oar to prop it up, this might help. On my Noah's tarp I added some larger split rings (key ring) to the guy line loops that were large enough to fit over an oar handle. This allows you to attache the oar to the tarp and then tie the guy lines to that. Works great and adds some flexibility to the tarp and you do not have to use the light weight short poles that they come with.

·
Registered
343 Posts

To avoid sewing you can just add large split rings (key rings), you can get them from you local hardware store. They will thread into the existing loops and you can fit them over the oar handle. No modifications and they can be added and removed with no issues.

·
Registered
359 Posts
FWIW, I have the Big Agnes, and while it sets up pretty well (even in relatively stout wind when dug in with a deadman) since they are light in color and unlined, they don't stay as cool as a darker tarp, and mine, unless set up with a ridgeline, will sag a little in the middle due to the cut.

YMMV
-Thomas
Fruita, CO

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
FWIW, I have the Big Agnes, and while it sets up pretty well (even in relatively stout wind when dug in with a deadman) since they are light in color and unlined, they don't stay as cool as a darker tarp, and mine, unless set up with a ridgeline, will sag a little in the middle due to the cut.

YMMV
-Thomas
Fruita, CO

I've never owned a wing, wanted a Moss outfitter model, but they were bought by MSR and the quality suffered, a lot. I guess my point being, that having set them up, ones that others owned, I found that there's a point where you settle for good enough rather than futz with the guy lines for an hour trying to get a sag or wrinkle out of it..

Seam Sealing, while a pain isn't that hard to do, yes, factory tape is nice, and the big agnes models you spoke of are pretty much a wash once you factor in all the things you mentioned.

Good discussion, I never thought about using split rings, GOOD CALL :)

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I have only one problem with the Luxe batwing tarp. They have a terrible warranty and return policy.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts