Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job for the summer in Glacier park as a raft guide and I am obviously bringing my other boats. Does anyone have any suggestions for rivers (I-V) and play spots. Also if there is a site like this, or any must have books for Montana rivers that anyone knows about I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Montana is sick, and the book is almost too tell-all. I have heard great things about the freestyle, and the creeking is amazing. I plan on spending a good part of my summer making roadtrips up there.

Unfortunatly I have heard that Glacier National Park is for the most part off limits to boating. Kind of like yellowstone only not quite as anal. You should check out the options in Glacier though, since there is some good creeks there from what I have heard.

Plus Canada isn't too far away, aye!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just moved down from Bozeman and miss Montana quite a bit, you'll love it up there. Since they are doing well with snow, there should be a good runoff. Lots of big water compared to Colorado- many rivers peak around 5,000 or more. You'll have plenty to do up there, the Yaak river is relatively remote and awesome big water IV. The Flathead and it's forks all have great boating, including multi-day trips. The Lochsa is only a few hours away as well as lots of creeking in the Bitteroot and Northern Idaho. If you are able to head down to the Absaroka/Beartooths (about 5 hours away) you will find anything from roadside III/IV (the Gallatin during runoff is a blast, Beartrap of the Madison, Yellowstone,etc.) to multi-day V+ rivers (Stillwater, Clarks Fork of theYellowstone). If steep creeks are your thing you should definitely hit Big Timer Creek in the Crazy Mountains. It drops an amazing 750 ft in a mile and a half (lots of footage in Nurpu). As posted above, the guidebook is well put together and worth the purchase. Also, from what I hear, there are definitely more creeks opening up, it's just a matter of clearing wood debris. Check out the website www.montanasurf.com - good photos there and I believe you can order the guidebook straight from there. Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts