Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a sleeping pad. I have checked out all the paco type pads that I can but came across the drop stitch version from bullet inflatables. At $179 it is competitively priced and may have some advantages over the other type. Anybody used one and have some feedback? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Not familiar, but it sounds like a fantastic idea. Would address some of the weaknesses of the standard river pads.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
198 Posts
I sent them an email asking if they will make a 24" wide mat. I need them for my Big Agnes double bag. I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll post their reply.

·
Registered
198 Posts
From their web site....

Bullet Pad Specs
Belle 2.76" x 26" x 58"
Guide 2.76" x 30" x 74"
Double Wide 2.76" x 48" x 74"

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cool idea for sure, but I also wonder about R value or lack thereof. Part of the comfort question I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
If space is a issue, cool idea, pumping up every night not cool, as a paddle board very cool, as a cold weather pad very very very cool :rolleyes: but I'll stick with my self inflating pad for now :D till I read a great review of one.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
I've used the drop stitch floor from my IK as a sleeping pad before. inflated soft it works great. these pads are wider than my IK floor, so I'm sure they would work better.

As far as the "R Value" question goes. i'm not sure that it would have a total lack, I mean think of all the stitching that could be considered as material to hold heat. Air is also not the worst insulator out there. But I've never used my IK floor as a pad in cold weather, always spring/summer months.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was kind of wondering if people had used their DS floors to sleep on. Sounds like they work. The Paco Silverback seems like the way to go but the price is a little out there. I know a guy with some roofing plastic welding experience, he thinks he could weld up PVC fabric tight enough for a sleeping pad. I am wondering if some PVC from Seattle Fabrics, a piece of foam, and a boat valve is worth the experiment. These projects get away from me at times though. I have an amazing frame that is exactly as I want it but I likely could have bought a couple good enough frames for what I have in it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was kind of wondering if people had used their DS floors to sleep on.
I have, but I have also been know to fall asleep on a gravel bar or rock so I don't know if my endorsement counts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, rowing all day in the sun and river beverages typically make sleeping the smaller part of the problem for me. Getting up and reasonably comfortably doing it again after crashing out on said rocks or gravel bars is the bigger issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You live in Idaho, buy one locally from Aire or Maravia, not from Chinese child slaves.
I am not positive but I think Aire makes their pads overseas. I do have one of thier boats though and couldnt be much happier with it. I also really like Maravia boats but on a test run their pad didn't blow me away.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think the aire and Maravia pads are both imported. The Maravia isn't even air tight- dumb design.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used this pad. It has no foam and cannot be compared to a Paco Silver Back Pad, which is the only way to go. The bullet pad is super durable, high pressure, and super compact when rolled. Amazingly compact. It floats and is a blast to take trough rapids. It is also a good dry box or cooler cover. As far as I know, they don't make different sizes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When aired down a little it reasonably comfortable used as a sleeping pad? I would really like a Paco silverback and will proably cave in and buy one, however at $330 plus shipping plus, I have to assume, at least some upcharge for a boat valve, I am at least trying to get a little due diligence in. That is almost as much as I paid for my first used boat.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Be sure to test one at a shop- although many rave about the paco pads- and I'm sure they're the best of their kind- for me they're just not workable. My feet get elevated and my chest has little cushion. If SOMEONE would make a boat material pad with the foam ATTACHED to the foam like a thermarest, I'd be first in line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts