Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought a raft and live pueblo co we are looking for an easy raft trip to learn on. We thought a good easy trip would be between canon city Co. and pueblo west Co. ???? any ideas????:confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't done it but Swallows Canyon between canon city and pueblo reservoir seemed like some logistics were involved. I'm sure someone here has done it but I remember it being full of private land and flows were not always conducive to running it with diversions or something.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You would have to put in below the dam between Canon City and Florence which I think is a challenge, then lots of industrial stuff around the portland plant and rail traffic. It may then be hard to find a place to take out before Pueblo reservoir so you might need a tow across that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I’ve never been to that dam, but I have heard some first hand accounts of people damn near drowning at the thing, so heads up!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I last ran that in college in the early 90's.

There IS a lowhead dam around florence. Its private property on both sides . I have portaged on river right. The property owner did come down and we were respectful and they were accomodating.

It is a LONG trip. Not much current and a ton of goosenecks.

A quick run would be from below the reservoir dam to the nature center. There is a boat ramp there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has any one done the Florence to Pueblo reservoir or the swallows river float recently? If so how was it. Can it be done with a regular kayak or do you need a WW / river play kayaks/ skirt? We did this last year and there was a downed tree and we found a very long dead body— had to walk out to contact help... and we lost our phones that trip... was thinking if we go earlier in the year it might turn out better ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts