Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High water laps on the numbers has been SUPER fun! I'm curious to know what the magic level for difficulty is as the water starts to drop. Obviously consequential right now, but likely not at its most difficult stage. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've always thought there's something funny about numbers in the 2700 - 3000 range. Below that, less push, above that, more flushed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always thought there's something funny about numbers in the 2700 - 3000 range. Below that, less push, above that, more flushed.
I'd agree with this. I haven't gotten comfortable in the 2500-2800 range, and got a lap in Sunday morning wherever it was over 3K. Tons of fun, but definitely easier than the 2500-2800 range. Everything in between the numbered rapids gave me more problems than the rapids themselves.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
My opinion is that everything on the Ark is toughest at 2700 on it's corresponding gauge, for reasons stated above. Holes are biggest before they flush.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I thought it was kind of washed out and mellow at 3k. Weekend before last at near 4k (3100) below granite plus clear and pine creek. It's bigger at 4k but super great for any class 4 boater who is not going to swim. Go there now!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I thought it was kind of washed out and mellow at 3k. Weekend before last at near 4k (3100) below granite plus clear and pine creek. It's bigger at 4k but super great for any class 4 boater who is not going to swim. Go there now!

The below Granite gauge is at the AHRA putin for the Numbers. It is below Clear, Pine, Lake and Halfmoon creeks. If it said 3,100 then that is what was in the Numbers.

·
Super Moderator
4,054 Posts
The hardest level is 1 million cfs.
Something like that actually happened back in the Pleistocene (no, I'm NOT actually old enough to remember it...) when a glacier dammed up the valley and then broke, just like Lake Missoula did. Imagine that. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
So...have we seen the peak yet?

Yes, for snowmelt. At Numbers it occurred on the 18th with approximately 4200 cfs.

Generally we get one rain storm each monsoon season that flashes the river higher than the snowmelt peak for a very short period.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Forgetting about the swimboard?

Seems someone here has forgotten to post on the 2015 Swimboard.

Hope you are doing well. Bruce

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm sure you guys will let me know if I'm wrong but iI don't consider it a swim because I never lost contact with the boat. So, it's more of a kayak roll. We don't want to hear about kayak rolls on the swim board do we? That being said I do owe the swim board a post that came from my royal gorge swim later that day. I'll post when I'm done morning the loss of my ego.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow, good to see you still getting on the water.
I miss the days when you used to rally down for early season NM creeking.
Hope all is well. Atom...

We had a pretty cool rear ender cat flip just below #6 (I think).

https://vimeo.com/131608462

Did one lap on Browns and 3 laps on Numbers. From 1 1/2 to 5 took us ten minutes, and to the RR Bridge inside 45 minutes. That was FUN! Big splashy fun!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey Atom!

Yeah all is well, I've graduated (or retired) to inflatables, so my Embudo days are done I think. Give me a shout if Upper/lower Box ever runs high though! I'll rally down for that! Also, let me know if you ever head north or need a gear boat for any adventures.

-B

1 - 19 of 19 Posts