Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bag has seen better days, thinking about just using three straps to hang the cooler it from the frame. It's a Canyon Cooler with a lip, but it's deep enough that it rests on the bottom of the boat before the lip contacts the frame. Opinions?

·
addict
741 Posts
Maybe put the cooler in the raft the way you described and give it a whirl. Make sure somebody big and strong is there to hold your hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
Straps are more adjustable than a drop bag so you can get the cooler just the right height off the floor. I use these NRS Adjustable Cooler Mounts at nrs.com because I don't want the cooler to roll as it is my passenger seat.

It would be cool if you could figure out a way to extend the cooler lip down but I don't have any good idea on how to accomplish this.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
keep your bag and run straps underneath for support. I use the regular NRS loop straps but I'll probably switch to the larger 1 1/2" straps next season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
run straps through a piece of plywood. Super sturdy, weight is distributed through the wood and adjustable. I use my cooler as a standing platform to cast from when fly fishing, works great.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
run straps through a piece of plywood. Super sturdy, weight is distributed through the wood and adjustable. I use my cooler as a standing platform to cast from when fly fishing, works great.
Or even a piece of aluminum drilled in the right spots. This is a really simple and solid way to do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've tried all of the above, including 1.5" NRS straps. Right now I'm using a dropbag. It all works, none of it perfectly. So far everything has stayed in the boat, using any of the methods. If you go to straps, pre-mark lengths, otherwise things end up off-kilter. Also, it seems to not make it any better to wrap around the cross pipe, and it makes them a PITA to adjust (leading to use of dropbags).

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
This also helps to keep the cooler from rocking in place. - i.e. if you push on one side of the cooler with just straps it can tip/twist. Putting ply wood underneath adds a lot of friction and minimizes this...

·
Registered
676 Posts
2 straps on bottom, 2 straps on top works great for me and have never had any issue, but then again i don't try standing on my cooler. those NRS cooler mount straps are a joke and complete waste of money.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I strap seats to both coolers and dryboxes and they both rock when leaning into the seat, so I have plywood I can lace in and they don't rock after... I don't always run it that way, just occasionally. Normally two loop straps underneath work fine and I only throw two over the top when things get sketchy. I agree the NRS mounts blow - gave mine away a decade ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts