Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other trailer winch thread on this page has gotten me thinking about other options if there's no room or good mounting point on a trailer for a winch.

Has anyone used a hand-held winch, with the other end attached to some fixed point on truck or something else, such as this Warn Pulz-all?

Only downside might be pretty short wire rope at 15' but could easily add more then remove it as raft is pulled up onto trailer.

WARN PullzAll Handheld Electric Pulling Tool — Red, 120 Volt, Model# 885000 | AC Powered Winches| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
that is a corded 120v winch. - I use an ATV winch to pull my cat up (the cordless remote makes it handy so I can operate it from the back of the trailer.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
2-3 yrs back I got a winch from Harbor Freight that hooks to a battery. It mounts to a ball mount so I just added an extra one to the back of my suburban. I would use it to augmented pulling my raft onto the trailer when I was just me and my young kids. I would never try just using the winch given the stress it would place on D ring but it gave me the extra pull I needed. Now I have a lower profile trailer and my kids are bigger so no longer use it. I dropped it a while back and cracked the plastic casing quite a bit but if you want it try and fix it up it is yours. Just PM me.
12V Power In, Power Out Winch - 3000 Lb. Capacity

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
NEWS FLASH

Mail just delivered a brand new Cascade Outfitters catalog just crammed with old and new boating goodies

·
Registered
572 Posts
And miss the opportunity to buy more gear? I'm a rafter now. Why would I want to do that?:p
True that, and it's more expensive gear that seems to last longer as well, but back in my kayaking days, I never seemed to miss an opportunity to buy a new kayak from Jessie Withamore, Jim Snyder or the tupperware boat mfg when a new model came out.... or a new paddle....or a new....:)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
tmacc

good to see some one who remembers those squirt boat pioneers.

Jim and New Wave built me a Big Foot back in the day plus a couple of plastic kayaks. One of my most prized possessions is one of his hand made JimiStiks.

We lost an industry leader when New Wave stopped big time production. Altho I did check with them some years ago and they will do custom glass work.

Jim is still very active, Jesse I have not seen much posted from him for years.

Those two gentlemen were doing the rodeo moves way back there when most of us thought a pirouette was hot stuff.

good memories for sure from reading your post

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dave. Not to high jack the tread too much, but the Wilderness Systems Ferrier was my all time favorite river running kayak. Not something I would take down the Green or Upper B, but a great boat for the Upper Yough and Upper Gauley. Surfing at Rocky Island on the Potomac. Good times.

Had my share of squirt boats as well. Big Foot rings a bell.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Consider it hijacked. I too have spent many days wedged in one of Jim's creations plumbing the depths of the Upper Yough, Gauley, New, etc... Been a LONG time and I think since last year I've decided to put my kayaks away for good. Too much upside down sh*t. Besides, rafting is pretty cool too - on the river, usual great weather, great food, river babes, gear envy, what's not to like?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Unfortunately for me, my Big Foot was designed just for me and believe it or not Jim's glass work does shrink over time. Plus too much river fun has my back so screwed up my favorite river boat now is a JPW Mini Cat.

Sigh, sure do miss those fun times in boats that made even local barely moving water river features big time fun.

Well, back to normal programming before we get flamed big time.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You might want to try a come-along first and see how that works. Or it wouldn’t be hard to use some kind of loop to anchor a hand winch either. Then you could test the angles and setup a lot cheaper than going electric right off the bat. I’ve thought about replacing my hand winch on my trailer with something electric a few times but in the end it only takes 2 minutes to winch it up there anyway. Electric would just be for show.

I’ve also seen setups where the battery and winch are mounted down low on the trailer tongue, then the cable run through a pulley mounted up higher on a post. That would be more for a trailer with storage under the raft with a deck up higher. Don’t know what your setup is. The angle of pull is really the key.

I used to just use the d-rings on the raft and never had any issues with anything pulling out, but last year I setup a 20’ length of webbing with biners that attaches to the back of the frame on each side and the webbing makes a V under the boat to the front for the winch hook. That helps a lot getting the front of the boat up higher without getting hung up on the roller.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm considering trying this out as well...seems worth the investment given it might allow me to be able to load my fishing raft solo in the event my buddies can't make it. Here's a winch that might fit the bill and not break the bank. Badlands 2500 pound winch with wireless remote. Only $49.99 after coupon code 59350378 at Harbor Freight. Looks like a mounting plate is available for $4. Couple with a separate battery or wire to the vehicle battery. Haven't figured it all out completely, but something to mess around with in the off-season...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might want to try a come-along first and see how that works. Or it wouldn’t be hard to use some kind of loop to anchor a hand winch either. Then you could test the angles and setup a lot cheaper than going electric right off the bat. I’ve thought about replacing my hand winch on my trailer with something electric a few times but in the end it only takes 2 minutes to winch it up there anyway. Electric would just be for show.

I’ve also seen setups where the battery and winch are mounted down low on the trailer tongue, then the cable run through a pulley mounted up higher on a post. That would be more for a trailer with storage under the raft with a deck up higher. Don’t know what your setup is. The angle of pull is really the key.

I used to just use the d-rings on the raft and never had any issues with anything pulling out, but last year I setup a 20’ length of webbing with biners that attaches to the back of the frame on each side and the webbing makes a V under the boat to the front for the winch hook. That helps a lot getting the front of the boat up higher without getting hung up on the roller.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Thx for good advice. Thought about a come-along but most have only 6 foot max then you have to reset. Might still be my best, certainly my cheapest option. I'm going to take another look at my trailer and see if I can put a temporary mount for a hand winch. It's a low deck ATV utility style with rails just above top of fenders over 15" tires. So there would be some angle if winch is mounted on tongue

or trailer hitch (like the cheapo Master Lock one)

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2953AT-12-Volt-Portable/dp/B000COTKDM

May use a pulley on front rail for wire rope.

Thx for all help.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I built my second raft trailer, I didn't install a winch. On my earlier trailer, I installed a standard hand-crank boat trailer winch, but it turned out to be useless. There was too much friction between the bottom of the raft and the outdoor carpet on the trailer deck. The winch threatened to rip the bow D-ring off the raft before making the raft slide (and that was a Riken raft, where that bow ring is really well attached). To trailer the raft, I always had to back in deep and float the raft into position. Then I could clip the raft to the winch, just to hold it in position while I pulled the trailer up the ramp. But you don't need a winch to do that.

Bottom line: save your money for something that works. Like beer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The winch threatened to rip the bow D-ring .

I use webbing to attach the winch thru the front d-ring and onto two points on the frame. This greatly reduces the stress to the d-ring.

Seeing a fully loaded raft pulled on a trailer by a single d-ring makes me cringe.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I built my second raft trailer, I didn't install a winch. On my earlier trailer, I installed a standard hand-crank boat trailer winch, but it turned out to be useless. There was too much friction between the bottom of the raft and the outdoor carpet on the trailer deck. The winch threatened to rip the bow D-ring off the raft before making the raft slide (and that was a Riken raft, where that bow ring is really well attached). To trailer the raft, I always had to back in deep and float the raft into position. Then I could clip the raft to the winch, just to hold it in position while I pulled the trailer up the ramp. But you don't need a winch to do that.

Bottom line: save your money for something that works. Like beer.
Whiskey. Knob Creek. :)

I attach to my frame, not D ring.

So when you back down you submerge the hubs, and I'm assuming the rear lights prob after disconnecting electric plug at trailer?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whiskey. Knob Creek. :)

I attach to my frame, not D ring.

So when you back down you submerge the hubs, and I'm assuming the rear lights prob after disconnecting electric plug at trailer?
When I tried to attach to the frame, the line from the winch pulled down very hard on the front of the raft. The solution to that would be to raise the winch, but (depending on your raft) that would require a pretty tall post.

Regarding the tail lights, I use sealed LED lights. No problem with submerging.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Other solution is to take a couple of long straps and join them into a loop. Drape one end over your oar tower. Run the loop under the bow and drop the other end over the other oar tower. That places part of the webbing in front of your bow D-ring. Ignore that D-ring. Attach the winch cable/rope to the webbing at this point and begin cranking. The bow will rise at first, then ease down onto the trailer bed. This helps the roller at the back do most of the work. Usually have to winch the boat only a foot or so to complete the job. The further you back into the water (ramp dependent.of course) the less cranking you'll need to do. I go back until the hubs are not quite getting wet. Do it the same way every time and you'll get really good and efficient at retrieving your rig.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 20 Posts