Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, its the off season and its time to buy a creeker for myself. Iv'e paddled the M3, Y, Mamba, and Nomad. I used the Y exstensively but I'm looking for something more modern. It seems to me the plastic on these boats is not exactly as burly as i thought they should be. So, Ive done some looking and narrowed it down to either a Gus or Embudo. I'm 6'4 ~195 with the requisite long legs that make a lot of other boats not too likely. I'm looking for something to run the steeps in while also being able to do self-supported missions and the like. Any info anyone has on either of these boats would be awsome especially if you can compare the two. Any other boats I might be overlooking would be useful as well. Thanks, have fun in the powder and I'll see you all in the water.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Gus is comfy but a bit quirky.
Embudo is great all around, but is lacking on outfitting and doesn't boof as well as many others.Bottom line you will be very happy with either even though the Gus will take a bit to perfect.

From what I understand Dagger is coming out with some good creekers this season. I work for Jackson and we have our first creekers coming out in March.

You might want to hold off a bit until the season gets a little closer. There will be a whole new swath of boats to choose from and the outfitting is getting very nice these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't vouch for the Gus, but I went from a Y to an Embudo. I'm 6'3", 225lbs, 36" inseam, size 13 feet, and I just seem to be to big to fit comfortably in the Embudo. A friend of mine with smaller feet and longer legs thought it was a very uncomfortable boat after paddling a seven day trip in it.

I like the way it paddles, I just think a creek boat should be comfy, and easy to get in and out of. The Embudo is not this for me. I guess I'm in the market for a new boat also.

Good luck!

tk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Last fall I got an embudo after paddling the Y for several years. For me the embudo is super comfy, but I'm 5'-8". However I know of several tall guys who are also comfortably fit. It's way faster than the Y, and boofs at least as good. However if you miss that boof, the boat will really pencil in, unlike the Y which kind of bounces off the water. A great big-water boat that really holds a line, however it's hard to adjust your line if you are off. A bit less forgiving than the Y. You can't beat the plastic or the cargo space available. I'm wanting to demo the el jeffe and the rocker. Perhaps we could get together a group and play musical boats on black rock this spring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
El jefe

Check the el hefe it looks more creekier than the gus and quirks worked out. The gus is good but has its quirks. if you learn the boat, you can paddle anything. The big nomad would be good but it is hard as hell to pack much gear in. The seat comes up to high making it a squeeze to load gear. Make a small cut and it would work great.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I hoped in the Gus and thought that it paddled like a champ. I seldom creek and felt that the GUS transitioned easily from playboat. The El Jefe is going to come it two sizes and from what I have seen looks awesome but will be full price and the Gus will be a great used option. When ever I hear Prijion I just think Weight. Any boat is going to be lighter, perform better, carry easier than a prijion and in general Liguid Logic pays attention to weight, especially in the play boats.

Peter

·
Registered
499 Posts
When ever I hear Prijion I just think Weight
Funny, whenever I hear Dagger I just think Weight. :wink:

I like Prijons, typically their creekers are great. The Embudo is my all time favorite creek boat, but I felt it was piton prone and too big for me, I was 150lbs when I was paddling it. The outfitting of Prijon boats is typically poor.

LL seems to be the company putting out the best combination of design, quality of plastic, and outfitting to me right now. Time will tell, but I have high hopes for the Jackson creek boat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re Embudo/ Gus

Funny

When I think of the Gus I think of a super HEAVY boat !!!

The Embudo Rocks. As with anything though you ask 10 people, you
will get 10 different opinions.

I would suggest. Not listening to the industry trolls on this site.
And go demo and sit in boats and make up your own mind.

Robson has new creeker coming that looks sik as well.

Cheers,
Bobby Whitit

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 180, so I'm nearly your size. I went from paddling a Micro 240 for years, and bought an Embudo a couple of years ago to try something new and more durable. Plus, the comfort factor for the Micro was never great for me.

I liked the Embudo when I first got it- more comfortable for the legs, and loved the way it cruised through holes on a high water Upper Animas run. However, I personally found two problems with it when I brought it to steeper creek runs-
1. As Badkins said, the bow does not stay very high in the water and ptions are common. Like the teeth-jarring kind, when you're trying to punch through a small wave and instead of glancing off a rock it stops you cold.
2. The boat is very fast for a creeker- a little too fast in my opinion. During a Upper-to-lower Source run I couldn't keep from creeping up on my partners too fast while they were trying to pick their lines. I like to slow drop the drops and make small eadjustments mid-rapid to get the bow in the right spot.

It's probably more a factor of my own style and skill (or lack thereof), but it made me a little uncomfortable how the boat just gets on a track and makes it difficult to make those small adjustments.

It switched back to a Micro for half a season til that broke (3rd Pyranha boat with a crack under the seat- big surprise), and I finally picked up a Nomad 8.5 late this past summer. Love it- comfortable for my frame, boats smaller than it looks, resurfaces well, accelerated when I want it to and slows the rapids down for me. I have no opinion about the plastic as yet, as I haven't owned the boat very long. But as it stands now, if I had to buy a new one every year, I probably would.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have paddled the embudo extensively and now own a gus. In my opinion, you are unlikely to be comfortable in the embudo without some serious outfitting work, whereas the gus will be cadillac cush after some peel and stick foam application.

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and always had my heels stacked on top of one another in the embudo, which contributed to my legs falling asleep often and hindered my ability to quickly exit and initiate a rescue. The Gus on the other hand, is super roomy and easy to outfit. It will also hold more gear for multi-day trips, but the lack of pillars on the embudo gives it the edge on ease of loading.

As far as how they paddle, I think both boats excel in pushy water and low volume steepness. The gus in my opinion exceeds the hole punching power of the embudo (which is also good). I also find that the gus boofs easier because my feet are in a better position on the bulkhead and I can really use my lower body to control the angle. The only thing quirky I can think of with the gus is the grooves on the sides. They take a couple paddles to get used to, but they are very effective for carving across eddylines, making big ferries, or catching a nice lateral wave on a slide. The only really non-creek friendly feature on the gus is its pointy bow, but it has a lot of rocker to compensate.

Give the gus a try. As for weight, they are both heavy ass boats. The gus again has the advantage because it sits nicely on your shoulder, whereas the embudo is awkward to carry long distances because of the lack of pillars and recessed hip pads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys

Thanks for all the good input, I guess I really was leaning towards a Gus and it sounds like its roominess compared to the embudo is huge. Also, it just seemd like the Gus has a lot more technology and thought going into its classic design. And hell anything that Johnny Kern uses to run the gnar in has got to be good enough for me. And on that note, I gotta say I'm kinda scared to just jump right into the brand new El Jefe without hearing feedback from all you good people first. Also, I think my wallet will like the Gus a little more. Thanks again guys and keep praying for cludy skies and snow, we all remember what last march was like.
Pauley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts