Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to float the Gunny Gorge after skiing Friday and exploring Colorado National Monument Saturday, but would appreciate any weather updates from Montrose residents...specifically will someone post here if you get rain? Snow is forecast for both the West Elks and Grand Mesa so I'm not super optimistic about this trip, but maybe...

Also, if it stays dry anyone who wants to join is welcome.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am totally free and would LOVE TO JOIN!!! keep us posted! I have 5 days off this week SAT- WED) and need to start making plans. GUnny sounds perfect!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're pushing 4" in 2.5 hrs in BV already.... Montrose webcam kinda looks like its sprinkling...

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im still very interested, but don't particularly want to get stuck at the trailhead...

·
Registered
244 Posts
We got some snow this AM, but it's all gone already. I would bet Chuckar is OK by 4/19, unless we get dumped on tomorrow. At 350 cfs I think it's not worth the effort though. I'd suggest checking out the new WWP in town and finding some hiking or biking to do instead of the Gunny Gorge.

·
Registered
778 Posts
2 of us are heading into the GG tomorrow/Sunday.

We're going to skip the muddy junkshow of Peach Valley Rd/Chukar Road by going in via the Warner Route from BCNP. 2.7 mile hike. First ~.7 mile is flat to rolling. Last 2 miles drop 2700'.

Probably start hiking down by 10, put in by noon thirty. There are a few good rapids in the first ~mile, then it's fairly mellow read-and-run for the next few miles to Chukar. We'll float leisurely from there down, hopefully taking out before 7.

Y'all are welcome to join.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike Lacey is looking to get somebody hurt

The Warner route is beautiful and easy access to the trail when chukar is muddy, but he needs to clarify that you will be attempting the hardest hike to a put in you have ever done. He needs to remind you that he is an Inflatable Kayaker, and the inflatable kayak he chooses only weighs 8 pounds. Warner Point Trail is a difficult hike without a pack. Based on Mike's blog he is in great shape. I have taken a few of my buddies down this trail that weren't ready and our hike to the put-in went from a 2 hour hike to a four hour hike. We have hiked hardshell kayaks out of Warner Point and down Warner Point and in my opinion out is easier because it is easier to control your ascent then your descent. It has also been raining and snowing for the last three to four days. I can see Warner Point from my porch and it has been above the snow-line each morning. I have seen this trail become extremely deteriorated the last few years because people hike it during trail conditions that beat up the trail, i.e. extremely wet, or extremely dry. He is close to being right on the vertical. In the last 2 miles you will drop 3,300 vertical feet, with absolutely no rests and lots of loose rock.
Think twice before saying yes to Mike on this one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Warner route is beautiful and easy access to the trail when chukar is muddy, but he needs to clarify that you will be attempting the hardest hike to a put in you have ever done. He needs to remind you that he is an Inflatable Kayaker, and the inflatable kayak he chooses only weighs 8 pounds. Warner Point Trail is a difficult hike without a pack. Based on Mike's blog he is in great shape. I have taken a few of my buddies down this trail that weren't ready and our hike to the put-in went from a 2 hour hike to a four hour hike. We have hiked hardshell kayaks out of Warner Point and down Warner Point and in my opinion out is easier because it is easier to control your ascent then your descent. It has also been raining and snowing for the last three to four days. I can see Warner Point from my porch and it has been above the snow-line each morning. I have seen this trail become extremely deteriorated the last few years because people hike it during trail conditions that beat up the trail, i.e. extremely wet, or extremely dry. He is close to being right on the vertical. In the last 2 miles you will drop 3,300 vertical feet, with absolutely no rests and lots of loose rock.
Think twice before saying yes to Mike on this one.
A few points:

I got the 2700' from the NPS website. If you say it's more, I won't argue, but I'd love to see you back it up.

My boat is closer to 11# than 8. But yeah--it's light.

No doubt the route will be wet tomorrow. Easier to slide a kayak down it when wet is my guess.

I'd be worried about trail conditions if there was a trail. The steep gully that the bulk of this route follows is not a trail, it is a fall-line route.

I'm in the worst shape of my life. But I can still stumble down a hill and then float downstream.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Boy Mike I have to agree with tutu on this one. Montrose got some heavy wet snow and then rained all day today. Any hike down to that canyon is going to be very difficult, and very slippery, especially carrying a hard shell. And they keep changing the forcast, especially temperatures. Only 56 for high, with 15 mph. winds out of the Northwest, will make very cold conditions in that crack. You are in great physical shape, but most others are nowhere close to you. You really might should reconsider for another day. That gorge will run good all summer when everything else is dead. That adobe clay will be slick as snot. Is it really worth it? I know you do packrafts but the comment on hardshells was directed at float2boat from Silverthorne.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Boy Mike I have to agree with tutu on this one. Montrose got some heavy wet snow and then rained all day today. Any hike down to that canyon is going to be very difficult, and very slippery, especially carrying a hard shell. And they keep changing the forcast, especially temperatures. Only 56 for high, with 15 mph. winds out of the Northwest, will make very cold conditions in that crack. You are in great physical shape, but most others are nowhere close to you. You really might should reconsider for another day. That gorge will run good all summer when everything else is dead. That adobe clay will be slick as snot. Is it really worth it? I know you do packrafts but the comment on hardshells was directed at float2boat from Silverthorne.
Yep, there will be mud.

And yes, it is steep. Which means it will be slippery.

56 = cold? News to me.

All of the above sounds a helluva lot better than roasting weenies or surfing the couch on a beautiful spring Sunday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts