Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone
I am thinking of doing an overnighter on the Gorge on August 31. I have called the horse pack outfitter. We are going to run our own shuttle. Is there any private land issues? I called Gunnison River Pleasure Park and when I told him that we would probably run our own shuttle he said dont come on our land. Any info wouldbe appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
There's a BLM day use area just upsteam of the Pleasure Park, check it out when you run shuttle. The people from the PP do a morning round to look for campers avoiding the $15 per person/per night fee that they charge. We had assembled over there early in the morning and they hassled us.

There are established, numbered sites on the river.

Hope that helps.

Laurie

·
Registered
135 Posts
The owners of Pleasure Park are good people (Leroy and Caroline). They are running a business and not a charity, tho ;). As mentioned, there is a separate public take out just up stream from Pleasure Park. In case you aren't familiar with the shuttle, it's about a three hour round trip. PP will run your shuttle for a fee. I just ran Gunny yesterday and the road is in
relatively good shape, but I'd recommend at least a stock 4x4. If it rains while you are on the Chukar Trail Road, forget about it. The clay surface turns to grease and is nearly or completely impassable.

There are a lot of campsites that you can sign up for at the trailhead, managed by BLM. There is no private land for nearly the whole length of the run. In the past, I've seen BLM rangers kayaking the section and talking to people. The ranger seemed very cool, but their job is to make sure people follow the rules, especially about camping in designated sites.

We saw a covey of chukar, and a bighorn sheep down at the water... osprey last year. It is a beautiful run and the fisherman seemed to be having good luck, too. Enjoy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts