Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do an overnight fishing trip on the Gunny Gorge during the second week of July. Flows are anticipated to be in the 3000 cfs range. A few folks on the trip will be older, early 70's, and am not interested in having any swimmers. I've never done the Gorge and would appreciate a description of the character and difficulty of the whitewater at ~3000cfs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I am looking to do an overnight fishing trip on the Gunny Gorge during the second week of July. Flows are anticipated to be in the 3000 cfs range. A few folks on the trip will be older, early 70's, and am not interested in having any swimmers. I've never done the Gorge and would appreciate a description of the character and difficulty of the whitewater at ~3000cfs.

Thanks!
While I've always thought 3K was a fun and straight forward level, you wouldn't want someone of that age swimming. There aren't a lot of major holes or moves, it is pretty flushed out, but it does move fast. Dam release makes the water surprisingly clear.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just make sure that the weather will be perfect for your trip. The gunny gorge is no place to be during a thunderstorm and we are coming into moonsoon season. Make sure to rent the mules and get an early start for the 1.5 mile hike down to the river. Setting shuttle takes almost 2.5 hrs, so again start early. Check into campsites early and get a map of all rapids in the gorge. This trip requires lots of planning but just make sure the weather is good, can't stress that enough. If you need to chat call 970-497-6512.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts