Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Went and fished the gunny the past 2 days and am curious about the jet boat service Pleasure Park offers...

Ive got a 13ft RMR with a DRE San Juan- no floors. Would really like to float that river as it has blown my mind every time ive fished it. Twice for the salmon fly hatch hiking down Bobcat and these last couple days hiking up to "The Wall" from South river road across from PP.

Has anyone ever done this? How far can they take you? What is the water like between where they can drop you off and Pleasure park?

I like to think I am a fairly decent oarsman :confused: but definitely dont want to get into any trouble in there. Upper C from Pumphosue down to 2 bridges, Lower Blue, South canyon to silt, Roaring fork around carbondale is about all Ive done.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
the jet boat will take you to the smith fork. its a 4 mile flat float. ive been fishing that canyon for 15 years good winter spot for sure.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The water between Pleasure Park and Smith Fork is pretty mild. I can't remember any significant white water. My experience has been lots of smaller fish in that stretch - like a 50 fish day, but I've never caught anything over 18 inches. Up in the Gorge as you know are some of the biggest fish in the State and not as finicky. Personally I'd skip the jet boat and hike in the upper Gorge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stevo...my inlaws are in Edwards/VailValley and I am up there about half the weekends...I have done Gorge floats several times....I you want to talk/phone or grab a beer sometime to discuss/look at maps I would be happy to...I am always looking for folks to float/fish with...I keep my raft up there.....Chet 720-271-5887 (C)

·
Edd Franz, BLM Montrose
93 Posts
Stevo -- the Gunnison River Pleasure Park has a commercial jet boat service that is permitted through the BLM. They take you as far as the Smith Fork. There's a reasonable beach there where they drop you and your boat. Then it's a pretty easy float with just a few riffles and rocks that are easily avoided. The fishing can be quite good, and the folks at the Pleasure Park can help you get set up with the right flies.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beers

Let me know next time youre coming out CROE.

Thanks all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts