Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kyle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Heading out for the lower gunnison this weekend, but my girlfriends car just broke down leaving us with one car. Planning to put in at Escalante and take out at Whitewater, camping saturday night.

Anyone have any info on shuttles in the area?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gunnison River expeditions. GRE. Don't leave a vehicle overnight in Whitewater!!! It will get vandalized and or broken into. I went this time last year and all the vehicles left overnight had broken windows. Some were burglarized.

Don't know why the sheriff can't put out a game camera and put an end to the theft and

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gunnison River expeditions. GRE. Don't leave a vehicle overnight in Whitewater!!! It will get vandalized and or broken into. I went this time last year and all the vehicles left overnight had broken windows. Some were burglarized.

Don't know why the sheriff can't put out a game camera and put an end to the theft and
Do you know if Bridgeport take out has theft like Whitewater?

·
Registered
312 Posts
there is a difference between American Spirit Shuttle and American Spirit Car Shuttle.

Did you call the number I listed?

I get $110 from Escalante to Whitewater, $150 Delta to Whitewater

·
ADVENTR
26 Posts
We just left our vehicle overnight at Bridgeport last weekend and there were a few others there with no problems. I wouldn't worry about it, but I also wouldn't worry too much about leaving my vehicle at Whitewater either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We just left our vehicle overnight at Bridgeport last weekend and there were a few others there with no problems. I wouldn't worry about it, but I also wouldn't worry too much about leaving my vehicle at Whitewater either.
Thanks. I’ve never done this section before. Everything I’ve been reading has made me nervous to leave my car at whitewater

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello there
Gunnison river pleasure park does shuttles for this stretch
(970) 872-2525

I do this stretch two or three times a year....and there is no way I would leave my car overnight at the white water take out. Every single time I am there something sketchy is going on....whether the sheriff is there for a break in, or our cars rummaged through(we don't leave anything of value), or strung out folks riding out their high.
We tell the gunnison shuttle folks to keep the windows down on our cars(with nothing in them)when they drop them off, and not until the afternoon.
The Dominguez take out used to be just as bad, but the popularity of the hike brings in a lot of people all day long, so their is not as much theft.
I once saw a sheriff taking a report on an entire bumper stolen off a big ole pick up, there. I don't think i would leave a car overnight there either, but it is better than before.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would not leave my car at either takeout overnight. Too far off the beaten path and they know you won't be back until at least the next morning...hell, even the Loma boat launch can be risky and it is very visible and high-traffic...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Delta is apparently bad for break-ins too. Get a shuttle and have them drop off your vehicle during the day you plan to take out. I think I paid around 125 last year... And they kept my truck at their lot overnight. Either way you are going to pay... Broken windows and stolen gear or a shuttle!

There's also a motel in Whitewater where you can pay to leave a vehicle. It's cheaper but requires a walk from the take out.

Every vehicle left overnight in Whitewater had broken windows this time last year. Same thing in Delta. Beware!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts