Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gunnison Gorge is a trip that I wait for with baited breath every season... and I end up watching AW gauge flows for months until it finally releases (hopefully). Does anybody out there know where to find up to date summer release information?? It would be nice to be able to plan a trip, but it always seems so last minute as all the reservoirs above are on a "bathtub" schedule (drain, fill, repeat).

Let me know if you are in the know or wanna go!

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Keep your eye on the river guage at Whitewater USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09152500 GUNNISON RIVER NEAR GRAND JUNCTION, CO..

The Bureau of Reclamation sent out the following email message last week:

Quote:
Based on the May 1st April-through-July runoff forecast of 335,000 ac-ft for Blue Mesa Reservoir, the Black Canyon Water Right one day peak flow target is 685 cfs. Today's flow through the Black Canyon is 300 cfs.

Due to the dry conditions and low Blue Mesa Reservoir content, the Whitewater baseflow target for June and July is 900 cfs. Current flows at Whitewater are around 1600 cfs. As tributary flows to the Gunnison diminish, and Whitewater flows approach 900 cfs, Reclamation will increase releases to attempt to maintain the target at Whitewater. We will provide as much advanced notice as possible regarding these release changes. We anticipate this operation will allow the Black Canyon one day peak target to be met sometime in the latter part of June, however, if insufficient, we intend to supplement releases with additional power releases as necessary to meet the target. We will keep you updated as things progress.

If you have any questions or comments please reply to this email or call me at 970-248-0652.

Dan Crabtree
Chief, Water Management Group Chief
Western Colorado Area Office

I expect flows around 500 cfs from late June through late August.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f12/gunny-gorge-flows-48154.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts