Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever floated the Gunnison from Delta to Whitewater? Hear it's 48 miles and flat all the way. But somewhere I heard there was a low head hydro. Anybody got any info? How's the fishing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Delta to Whitewater is 39 miles of flatwater with no low head dams. The takeout at Whitewater is not the best. I don't know about the fishing...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Delta to Whitewater is 39 miles of flatwater with no low head dams. The takeout at Whitewater is not the best. I don't know about the fishing...
Fyi... yes, there is a low head dam or irrigation diversion... at least there was in 2007, last time I did it. It's easily manageable though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've done this float 3-4 times. Fishing sucks. There is what I would call a "Class -II drop" after the last main campsite (domingez canyon? i think) that has flipped a couple of inexperienced canoers that were with us during runoff season. Take river right...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Anyone ever floated the Gunnison from Delta to Whitewater? Hear it's 48 miles and flat all the way. But somewhere I heard there was a low head hydro. Anybody got any info? How's the fishing?
Looks like only one, low head dam. It is about one mile above Delta.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks like only one, low head dam. It is about one mile above Delta.
Just to clarify my first post... The diversion "of little consequence" that I remember is between Escalante and Whitewater. The one posted here, up river from Delta, I would not recommend running... nasty recirc., when I was there. We hiked around, probably on some private land... therefore I would not recommend floating between hwy 65 and Delta. Pleasure Park to Hwy. 65 is nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Dam

There is no dam between Delta and Whitewater. There is an irrigation diversion (class II) that creates a horizon line but is not a lowhead, not even close there is many lines that one can choose from. In addition to the irrigation diversion there is a couple of class II riffles but overall this the flattest section of the Gunnison.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just did Delta to Whitewater this past week (5/15). Flows were peaking, so going was good. Put in at Delta is a great ramp. Take out at Whitewater isn't ideal, but isn't horrendous either. There isn't room for more than 2/3 boats at the little eddy and backing a trailer down the 30 yards to the "ramp" wasn't an option b/c of clay mud. Folks just need to follow proper take-out etiquette (ie get the [email protected]#$ out of the way asap) and there shouldn't be much problem. There was significant broken window glass at the take-out but we left our cars there for two nights without problems.

Fish were rising all over the place for BWOs, but water was blown for the most part.

All in all a good flat water float with great hiking at Dominguez. And like 1/100th of the people of nearby Ruby/HS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts