Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to know minimum CFS for Escalante to Whitewater stretch on the Gunnison? We would be rowing a 13ft raft. Right now the CFS has been hovering around 620 but AW.org says 800 is the min. Anyone have issues rafting it lower than 800cfs? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done it at 800 and it wasn't bad. Let me know how it was if you go. I'm planning on going Aug 15

·
$5 shower
73 Posts
The amount of water coming out of the Gunnison Gorge is historically low in my opinion. Sunday we floated from PP to Austin and drug the boat more than I can ever remember in 20 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not recommended. I looked at it today, and I think I could ford it wihout getting my knees wet. 50% ish of normal flows this year.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did it 2 weeks ago, in the low to mid 600s in duckies. We scrapped bottom frequently. More than that, the water was definitely on the slow side, so we paddled a lot to cover water. Our last day the winds were strongly against us, which made for a really slow paddle out.

And for actual numbers, we were averaging right around 2.75 miles per hour, of semi-actively paddling our duckies.

We saw one paddle raft of younger dudes do Bridgeport to Whitewater in a day. The launched just a couple minutes after we passed, and they were probably ~1 hour behind us when we camped. (I didn't time it, but our camp was set up, and we were working on dinner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts