Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've found on short trips on more lenient rivers anytime you can do the business in some sort of disposable bag it makes cleaning much easier and less messy.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Cataraft girl mentions putting the seat on and off with each use. I took another gamma lid, cut a hole in the center screw in part, and screwed a toilet seat to that. Groover set up includes screwing the toilet seat onto the groover and it stays until broken down in the AM. It works quite nice.

I use blue goo, RV stuff, kill that crap dead with formaldehyde! Add a bit each day and make sure you get some liquid so it can disperse. I haven't found anything else that works and is tolerable.
I'm assuming you're using a toilet seat with a lid to keep bugs, rain, etc. out of the bucket???? Did you use a regulation size toilet seat? I might have to make one of these set-ups during my winter down time. Sounds like a great idea. It would prevent the O-ring from getting stretched out from too much on & off abuse, and being dropped in the sand.
KJ

·
Registered
119 Posts
toilet seat

One problem with the round bucket or rocket box is it is hard to fill them all the way full because your butt is below the top of your poop container. I bought one of those handicapped toilet seats that raises your butt at least 3 inches above the top of your container. You can find them at thrift stores dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I called Eco Safe for recommendation on groover additives.

They recommend anything biodegradable or "green".

They do not recommend formaldehyde treatment as it can react with the plastic.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I'm assuming you're using a toilet seat with a lid to keep bugs, rain, etc. out of the bucket???? Did you use a regulation size toilet seat? I might have to make one of these set-ups during my winter down time. Sounds like a great idea. It would prevent the O-ring from getting stretched out from too much on & off abuse, and being dropped in the sand.
KJ
We do it more so there's a stable seat, and you don't have to fuss with the lid every time. I'm not understanding what a "regulation size toilet seat" is. The only thing to watch is when the groover is empty, flipping the seat lid back can tip the whole unit over.

This toilet seat puts you up high enough so you can fill the groover as much as you like to screw the lid down onto stuff.

Formaldehyde, that's the joy of this groover being made of about $12 in materials.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've found on short trips on more lenient rivers anytime you can do the business in some sort of disposable bag it makes cleaning much easier and less messy.
Not sure of any regulations of disposing of that bag, but again, the PETT wag bags are made for that purpose.

If the river allows for it, that's another option if you don't care about having a decent surface to sit on while you do your business. In fact, last summer, they were handing out wag bags at Pumphouse to get people used to the idea of this very approach. Probably a good idea even for day trips to have one of those bags handy - just in case...

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We do it more so there's a stable seat, and you don't have to fuss with the lid every time. I'm not understanding what a "regulation size toilet seat" is. The only thing to watch is when the groover is empty, flipping the seat lid back can tip the whole unit over.

This toilet seat puts you up high enough so you can fill the groover as much as you like to screw the lid down onto stuff.

Formaldehyde, that's the joy of this groover being made of about $12 in materials.
Thanks for the heads up on the lid. As I recall this happens with the EcoSafe seat as well. I think I've found my winter river gear DIY project !!!!!!
KJ

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Shit, pun intended, but i had the groover on our 14' incept for a 4 day trip with 6 rafters and 2 yakers (they eat less but drink more) and 4 dogs(yes i put my 3 dogs poo in there) just go for the eco-safe and relax knowing that your carrying the right one. On my x-mas list for next year is the fancy S.S. with handles one that is way too much to spend on but looks pretty at the groove spot, but for this season again I will use the tried and true eco safe. The PETT system is for little children and girlie men

·
Registered
263 Posts
... On my x-mas list for next year is the fancy S.S. with handles one that is way too much to spend on but looks pretty at the groove spot, but for this season again I will use the tried and true eco safe. The PETT system is for little children and girlie men
The Riverbank from Selway Fabricators http://www.selwayfab.com has served us well and seems to be more boat friendly than the johnny partner from Partner Steel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also needs a airtight lid to survive a flip
That image is just of the outside shell which has the integrated seat and rope loops (not shown) which make secure strapping easy. The tank itself does seal as good as any other system:

Nice thing compared to johnny partner is there is no need for a rocket box to carry the seat and supplie. This one will house TP and sanitizaer inside the shell during transport. Comes with RV hose and water hose fitting, works well in scat machines too, usually only needs one cylce.
Jerry

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Riverbank system is as good as it gets for a real groover. Solid construction and a good tank seal seems to be able to handle anything I've thrown at it or dumped in it. Last trip with my system was 6 days on the San Juan with 11 well fed people and still had some room left. Best part is how easy this system cleans out. I wouldn't trade mine for any other system out there and I've used several.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Holy crap that thing is pricey! With tax it's $380! (but if it could have the fancy seat with the Seahorse on it- I might be game.)

·
Super Moderator
2,892 Posts
While cheap 20mm cans are heavey and not exactly compact. The inserts are expensive. You are from washington, so am I, You have a super duper puma, I also run one on week long trips. All of the following rivers within 1 long days drive of Seattle accept 5-gallon bucket/gamma seal lid groovers (which are scat machine compatible). .......

No the 5 gallon bucket does not take up too much space. Here is a super super with the kitchen sink and still not overloaded for a week.
Note that the photo does not show the handy AnyandBax slings which I just saw and baught last week for $14.95
For the Middle Fork, especially in the fall when weight is a consideration I use the gamma bucket too. I nest it in a square milk crate and I had a strap through the back hinge of a toilet seat and a shorty on the front to the crate to hold the bucket upright. It also made the seat very secure for my kids and the crate makes it very stable on the ground. I had pics but can't find them now. Must be on the other computer.

If it's allowed on the rivers you plan to run check out the PETT toilet with WAG bags. You can put the waste in any size ammo can you want and the fold up toilet is light weight and really easy to stow. I use it for lots of shorter trips when I don't want to mess with tanks. Even if you choose to use a full size rocketbox for your poop, you won't need another for the lid, etc..
We did use this on a recent trip and I did like it for weight and breakdown. The seat was a bit low for my tastes ( I'm 6 feet) and at 250+, I thought I could have broken it if I farted too hard. It held up though. But I was quite concerned. My sore knees made getting up from the low height a bit of a challenge too. I will continue to use my bucket set up as it gives the stability and comfort of the Riverbank at 1/20th the cost and half the weight and takes up 50% less room.

If you can't put on a seat like this, your groover is lacking.
The bar has been set quite high with this remarkable seat.

The Riverbank system is as good as it gets for a real groover. Solid construction and a good tank seal seems to be able to handle anything I've thrown at it or dumped in it. Last trip with my system was 6 days on the San Juan with 11 well fed people and still had some room left. Best part is how easy this system cleans out. I wouldn't trade mine for any other system out there and I've used several.
Glad you like it. Must be nice to have $400 to drop on a shit holder.

They are good toilets, but why does anything less than your gold standard become not a "real" groover?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also a fan of the PETT system, but don't know where it isn't accepted. You could always poop in a kayak, they are accepted everywhere... LOL
I know that on the Salmon you need one that is reusable, washable, water tight and SCAT machine or RV dump compatible. If you have something with a snap on lid (ammo cans, plastic buckets) they are supposed to have a rubber gasket in the lid. WAG bags, restop 2 or any other plastic bag system are not accepted

21 - 40 of 52 Posts