Mountain Buzz banner

Groover tech

5953 61
Buzzards, what is the current bees’ knees groover available for sale at any price? Is there an accepted gold standard?
(Cue salty old codgers recommending squatting on bare rocketbox)

Feel free to comically link to the ridiculous and absurd, but real info also appreciated.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
I remember the days when the rocket boxes were lined with trash bags. That was gross AF.
I have a 20mm ammo can and prefer it for the height, stability, capacity, & strength. I also fabricated a separate top for RV system dumping or just dumping in my sewer clean-out. Easy to carry a 2nd tank.
I've used Coyote, Eco-safe, bucket, and rocket boxes. If you're carrying the groover on your boat I don't give a s#1t. I will poo in whatever vessel you choose to carry on your boat. I don't like Eco-safes, but will deal with it if I don't have to carry it. Did a Salmon trip recently where it was carried in a SOAR canoe the whole trip, without an accompanying rocket box. (Earl was a groover boss). Coyotes are sweet, but have limited user days and are best for smaller groups. Eco safes are unstable and have the gross ramp system. Buckets seem fragile to me. I've yet to christen a JP or Selway but would be happy to on a permitted trip... I'll even carry it!
If I get a permit (TL), I'm usually not the one bringing the groover...but will gladly carry it if you invite me.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well, after 41 posts about turdherding I’m leaning pretty heavily towards the Selway Riverbank.

I’m going to check out what SDG comes up with first tho. Thanks to all for the fecal insights!

Reactions: Ripper and Senor D

· Registered
19 Posts
I've used every system out there, wag bags (PIA), 5 gal buckets with a toilet seat (nasty to clean, lots of parts, they leak, they stink and seats don't fit your junk), Ecosafe seat on a rocketbox (unstable, hard to clean, rocket box may or may not seal so they can leak and stink and too many seperate parts to haul around) , JP (not as stable as Selway and seperate lid to have to manage/pack and cost prohibitive except for outfitters imo) and Selway/riverbank. I and the buddies I run rivers with, own Selway's now. We bring one toilet on most trips but we can bring an extra tank(s) on longer/larger trips as needed saving a lot of space... the Selway's are comfortable, stable, easy to set up and take down and we have found them easy to clean at RV dumps (although I just take mine to the local porta potty place and pay them $45 to clean and sanitize mine).
whatever works for you is ok, but the older I get, the more I like the Selway. And I got mine 14 years ago when they were $100 cheaper than they are today. Here is a good article discussing the topic... good luck with whatever you choose

· Registered
3 Posts
I have used most and don't think you can beat a Johnny partner by partner steel. The hang up, price. And up here in idaho there is a scat machine readily available on most all rivers. Guides here run Johnny's or riverbank by Segway fab I believe. Those would be my one and two. I might bump the riverbank up to o e if I lived where there where no scat machines as I think they my be easier to clean with the septic hook up. Though I have never used anything except a scat machine.
I prefer a Johny Partner. I empty it at a local out house rental. It takes less than 10 min but the most important part is the handles, they help for carrying ( 2 can carry when it gets heavy ) and they are good to hold to after lasagna night

· Registered
164 Posts
Considering upgrading my groover situation. I currently have an eco-safe. I like the Selway, but one concern I have just looking at pictures is the carry "handles". Looks like they're just nylon rope or something.
Can you Selway owners chime in with your experience/opinions about the carry handles?
My concerns are:
#1 It looks very uncomfortable on the hands, especially as it fills up & gets heavier.
#2 Do they handle the weight? Can the knots break through the holes?

Thanks for your responses

· Registered
6,248 Posts
Per SDG River Gear's instagram, I believe their groover kit/system should be hitting the market in early 2023. They've been prototyping it for the past couple years. Looks like it plays nice with SCAT machines and will also be available with an RV dump attachment.

- Sheik
So..any word on their groover?...it's early 2023!

· Registered
8 Posts
that looks super cool.

Edit: Definitely a direct competitor to the JP, but clearly a big upgrade to the ol' 20mm box and the same form factor. Sounds like they're aiming at the lower price point ($200?) of the Ecosafe...I'd definitely buy one for that.
View attachment 82910

$945

I think I’ll be sticking with my rocket boxes for a while

· Registered
5,202 Posts

$945

Makes the Johnny partner look like quite the bargain by comparison

· Registered
180 Posts
For $945 The SDG system includes: Poop tank, Dry box for seat, TP, etc. clean out accessories all the way down to the hose and bungees for SCAT machines

For $1,050 The Jon-ny Partner System includes: Poop tank, Lid, Seat, and Clean out "party hat".

So the SDG system includes a box for the seat and toilet supplies whereas the Partner system does not.

The Partner system holds 65 person days of waste. The SDG system does not list capacity, but must be a good bit less than 65

· Registered
6,248 Posts

$945

Likewise. Good for them for bringing a well thought-out new product to the market.
But too much $$$ for me and maybe only using it 2 weeks a year.

· Registered
144 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't.

I don't think they're quite as heavy walled as a 5gal bucket..but they're not as brittle, either.
And the Gamma Seal lid is exactly the same as one you might use on a 5gal bucket.
I happened to see one here at my folks house used for dog food. Made me think the gamma seal might be better than a 5 gallon bucket, in that there’s no gap like the one between the bucket and gamma snap on piece.

I guess one could fill it with water and sit it upside down for a while, seeing how waterproof it is.I imagine any good hit could break the box or seal though

41 - 60 of 62 Posts